A tasty mess: Theta Chi gets creamed for charity

Fraternity takes on popular charitable event

Brothers of Theta Chi were out at the Women’s Memorial Quad on Tuesday getting pied in the face for the sake of charity.  The event was called Pie A Theta Chi and proceeds went to the United Service Organization, an organization that provides services for soldiers and their families.

For a three-dollar donation, anyone could take a pie tin full of whipped cream and plant it onto on of the members’ face.  A simple act that had some people laughing as they passed by or pied one of the three.

“We wanted to do something fun, said member Viekson Van Wie.  Nationally, Theta Chi is known for doing Pie A Theta Chi.  So we wanted to bring the tradition back since we are chartering next year.”

Theta Chi began moving onto campus since October of 2014.

Jimmy Friedricks (left), Viekson Van Wie (center), and Janson Fritzley (right) were just some of the fraternity members that took part in the event for charity

Among the grass and tarps, the brothers suited up in ponchos to ensure nothing got on their clothes while being pied in the face.  There they announced the event to anyone passing by.

“We want to get our name out there,” Van Wie said.

Viekson Van Wie gets creamed in the face for charity. A simple three dollar donation could get patrons a pie pan full of whipped cream to throw in their faces.

In the wake of Shasta, some students seem wary of Greek Life as a whole, as seen through comment backlash on social media.  Van Wie and fellow members want to bring a positive experience onto campus.

“We thought that this event is such a good way to emerge and show everyone we’re here”, said Wie.  “We want to help everyone, we want to help our veterans for this event, but we also are here to make everyone feel good”.

The fraternity is also involved with Greenhill Human Society.  Aside from spreading the word about the organization, members table and help out at Greenhill’s Bark in the Park event.  However, the involvement of strangers placing pie onto their faces makes everyone happy.

“We want to be really involved on campus and give Greek life a good name,” Van Wie said.

University of Oregon