I am a true feminist

We’re not extremists, and we’re not blaming men for our problems

Feminists have been getting a bad reputation as being “extremists” and blaming men for their problems. I am here to say the true meaning of the word feminism is wanting equality between genders.

The Odyssey recently published an article called “I Am A Female And I Am So Over Feminists” in which the author, Gina Davis, explains why she is over the feminists of the world. While I understand her view because I have seen a lot of pissed-at-the-world women who blame men for all of their problems, I also have to respectfully disagree. Feminism is in fact extremely relevant, especially considering the fact the average woman only gets 78 cents for every dollar a man makes.

The problem that arises is the fact the word “feminism” has gotten a bad reputation as well as a negative connotation recently. Feminism is simply the idea that men and women should have equal rights, equal pay, and be treated equally in society. I am proud to call myself a feminist. I am proud to say I have friends, both men and women, who are feminists. We have no interest in saying a certain gender’s ideas or thoughts count more than another. We simply want one thing: equality. Equality has become a concept in which the lines are blurred; everyone views it differently and Davis even argues the genders are, in her mind, already considered equal.

“Women have more rights in the United States than anywhere else in the world.”

This one line Davis wrote is stuck in my head. Where did she come to that conclusion? Did she look it up or is it just her opinion? As a result, I immediately felt compelled to look it up. In fact, Davis had it very wrong. The U.S. Constitution does not include gender equality, yet 84 per cent of other countries’ constitutions do. Many countries, like Norway for example, have quotas and policies in place to ensure the equal treatment of gender including in parliament and corporate board seats. These countries recognize the inequality between genders, so they take actions and precautions to try to change it. When it comes to equal pay between genders, the U.S. falls at the 65th rank out of 142 countries. Yet, we “have more rights.. than anywhere else in the world”? Honestly, I just do not see it.

“I consider myself to be a very strong and independent female. But that doesn’t mean that I feel the need to put down the opposite gender for every problem I endure.”

Yet another line I cannot get out of my head. See, there is a difference between the extremist views of modern feminism and the legitimate ideology of feminism. For the women who truly want equality, not to be considered superior to men in any or every way, you are the true feminists. The new, modern version of feminism has become ridiculously advertised and promoted by the media that it has become hard for us to call ourselves feminists. We automatically get shut down by those around us, especially by men, because we aren’t seen as true feminist, we are perceived as extremest “bra-burning” women who only want to say we are better than the opposite sex.

Personally, I believe everyone should be treated with the same amount of respect, despite your gender. We are all human. We cannot blame each other for everything or else no real change can come to the world. All I want is to be considered equal. I know I have rights. I know I have a voice.

I am using my rights and my voice to say a change does need to be made. I want to be able to see young women grow up and have better opportunities than the women do now. As a science major, I have felt the wrath of discrimination by my peers and elders based on my gender, and I never want women to feel discouraged to follow their dreams. That’s why I consider myself a feminist. We need equality, not superiority.

University of Oregon