Over 50 percent of sexual assaults at Ohio State happen in freshman dorms

A quarter happen in and outside campus buildings

Sexual assaults and other sexual crimes have been mapped for the first time at Ohio State.

The Tab Ohio State used data from almost seven years' worth of crime reports and daily police logs, which the university is obliged to disclose.

Incidents logged on this heat map show reports of assaults clearly focused around on-campus buildings, with high concentrations in freshman dorms.

A heat map focusing on clusters of sexual assault reports at OSU

Nearly 75 percent of on-campus sexual assaults happen in dorm rooms, our research shows. Additionally, over 50 percent of campus sex crimes happen in freshman dormitories.

Interestingly, the data collected from 2011 to 2017 shows Park-Stradley has more reported sexual assaults than any other dorm on campus, despite having only been around for four years.

Our research shows reports of sexual assault are not evenly distributed throughout the year. The greatest surge occurs in November, accounting for 17 percent of reported sexual assaults.

There is a second, smaller spike in data in both September and January, around the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters, which accounts for a total 25 percent of reports. The data indicates a quarter of sexual assaults happen within the first month of each semester.

Following campus dorms, on campus locations account for the second highest concentration of sexual assaults at 25 percent. On campus locations include classroom buildings, common use buildings like the Union, and outdoor locations like the Oval or Mirror Lake.

Additionally, the data shows that nearly half of incidents– 45 percent –occur on the weekend, with Saturday accounting for the majority of reports at 19 percent.

Hahna Shook, an Ohio State junior and Primary Leader of STRIDE, commented on The Tab's findings.

“I think that it is important for universities to share this information," said Hahna. “It brings initial awareness to individuals in the dorms and can lead to actions of prevention."

A density map showing clusters of sexual assault reports at OSU

STRIDE is an acronym for Seeking To Reclaim Our Identity Direction and Energy. The organization works to raise awareness for sexual violence on Ohio State's campus as well as provide support to students, both survivors and allies alike.

“STRIDE wants to work to bring awareness to sexual violence and serve outreach programs that help victims," said Hahna.

Many incidents go unreported. And even those that are, not all are reported to OSUPD – meaning this data set does not offer a conclusive picture of crime at Ohio State.

The full heat map of sexual assaults at OSU

If you are or know of someone who is the victim of sexual assault at Ohio State, visit this page of resources.

Mapped is a new investigative data journalism project from The Tab, looking into where sexual assaults are reported on college campuses.

Ohio State