O-S-Who?: Ohio State and Oklahoma State battle it out in trademark dispute

We all know there’s only one real OSU and it’s not Oklahoma

In February, the Ohio State University filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, seeking to trademark "OSU," specifically on clothing and apparel.

On a scarlet and grey sweatshirt, there is no question as  to  what  those  three  letters  represent.

Unfortunately for the Buckeyes, Oklahoma State University also holds the acronym near and dear, and the University has recently filed an extension with the U.S. Patent  and Trademark Office indicating it plans to file a notice of opposition to the trademark request.

The office approved that request, granting Oklahoma State until the end of August to file its objection.

In the past, the two universities have had concurrent usage agreements, as well as with Oregon State, said Oklahoma State spokesman Gary Shutt.

"Those agreements have worked well for all involved," Shutt said Tuesday in an emailed statement.

Each of the respective schools have trademarks on "OSU" dating back to the late 70's. The trademarks apply to sporting events and recreational programs, entertainment, and education. Ohio State's trademark covers 19 states across the Midwest and the east coast. Oklahoma State's trademark covers 17 western and southern states.

In Iowa, the three letters have created a "battle line." Oklahoma State's trademark applies to 54 western counties and Ohio State's applies to 45 eastern ones.

Spokesman from both universities said they're confident the current apparel trademark issue will be resolved.

On behalf of Oklahoma State University, Schutt said, "We look forward to talking to Ohio State about joint use and making sure our universities and our fans are best served."

Ohio State