‘I knew this would be my home’: Students share their reasons for attending The Ohio State University

I asked rising juniors why they chose to attend The Ohio State University and this is what they said

It is more than a week into April, and it is officially the season of admissions decisions and college selection. As the May 1st deadline rapidly approaches and you stress about applications, my fellow Buckeyes and I wish to offer you peace of mind.

Megan McNary, Marketing

I attended a fairly large high school, so I was immediately drawn to, not intimidated by, the size of campus. When I was on my official visit, my tour guide stopped to speak to us on the Oval. I was in awe. I thought to myself, “This is THE Oval.” While we were there, a current student walked by and shouted “O-H.” I exchanged glances with the other students on the tour, wondering if the passer-byer was talking to us. I grew-up responding, “I-O,” but it was at that moment that I had the affirmation that this was where I was supposed to be.

Bree Orchard, Nutrition

When I was a kid, I chose my favorites based on my parents’ favorites. My mom was a nurse, so I wanted to be a nurse. Her favorite animal was a dolphin, so that became my favorite animal. However, my dad was an Ohio State fan and she was a Michigan fan. Somehow or another, I decided to be like my dad in that aspect and I chose Ohio State to be my team. Ever since I was 4-years-old, OSU has been my dream school and other schools never really crossed my mind. Yeah, I looked into others just to keep my options open, but I ultimately knew that this was the place to be.

Adam Rupp, Education

I chose The Ohio State University because I went to a large high school so I felt comfortable with the large number of students here. Many of my friends went here, so I knew I would have some friends upon arriving. OSU has since given me the opportunity to go off on my own and create new friends from clubs and sports.

Colin Laubenthal, Chemical Engineering

I chose Ohio State because there was no where else I wanted to go. I did not apply to any other colleges. The majority of my family attended Ohio State and I could count on one hand the number of family members who did not go here. I also had no idea what I wanted to do when I came to college and Ohio State was big enough that I could decide what I wanted to do when I came.

Katelyn Craft, Business

I chose Ohio State because of the atmosphere and the school pride exhibited by every person walking around both campus and Columbus.

Reggie Browley, Consumer and Family Financial Services

I decided to come to Ohio State because of the culture. I have always loved OSU, ever since I was a kid. I grew up hating Michigan and only buying clothes that were scarlet and grey. When I got older, I had the option to attend other schools for sports, but I knew in my heart I only wanted one school name across my chest. After visiting the campus my senior year of high school and experiencing the culture here for the first time, I knew this would be my home the following year.

Hannah Wright, Forensic Anthropology

I chose OSU because of the way I was raised. Both of my parents work in the OSU Medical Center, we have always been strong Buckeye fans, and this university is one of the best in the country. The first time I visited, I fell in love with the campus and atmosphere. However, I didn’t choose to attend OSU because it was a family tradition, as I’m the first in my family to go to college. I chose this university because of the success I know I can achieve from being a Buckeye.

Luke Skrzypczak, Materials Science and Engineering

I chose to go to Ohio State because I had considered it a family school growing up. Both my parents and my sister went here so it seemed like the right place to go.

Amanda Standley, Pre-Nursing

My parents always told me “When it rains it pours, but without embracing what life throws at you, would you really be living?” I chose Ohio State because it was my reach school, the letter I was dreading to open, the one place I truly knew I would fit in but didn’t think I would be accepted. With the amount of school spirit that is displayed and the homelike feel you get the moment you step on campus, who wouldn’t want to be a Buckeye. Yes, class may kick my ass, I may be a very small fish in a very large pond, but all of those concerns were filled with this endless desire to be a Buckeye. Rain or shine, the Shoe is rocking, not one ‘M’ on campus is visible, and there is always room to grow. Ohio State has made such a lasting impact on my life and for that, let the skies open and let it pour all the time because nothing was going to stand in my way of a lifetime of being a Buckeye.

Ohio State