Anti-abortionists have returned to The Oval, students everywhere rejoice

Spring is here and so are the anti-abortionists

Anybody who has attended the Ohio State University knows about the heartwarming people who stand on The Oval and use shock appeal to strike fear and guilt into the hearts of the student body. The people who wave signs of aborted fetus’ in your face and preach about damnation.

Yes, you know who I am talking about: the anti-abortionists who spring like flowers when the weather gets warm.

Now personally, I find this disgraceful presentation sickening and irritating. I suppose that most of that irritation is derived from the inherently morbid subject matter and indecency displayed by those protesting.

It is an extremely inappropriate way to approach an extremely delicate subject. How would these individuals like it if I pranced around in their front yard with signs of gore and preached about a topic that is stomach churning?

At least this year they had the dignity to place a little sign just feet away from their gala of horror, warning oncoming students “Abortion victim photos ahead.”

Oh, thanks for the warning, but I can see the pictures from a mile and a half out. I can see the intrusive subjects of the cause marching around stopping people, and bringing up a subject that nobody has any interest in discussing on their way to class.

To make it even worse, the signs are set up right in front of the Thompson statue, where foot traffic is so dense, that you don’t even have the option to avoid it.

Good job, guys. Thank you so much for making it so that trying to avoid the mess is an extreme inconvenience. This must be a marketing strategy of an executive at a successful company.

The only thing that these individuals can bolster with any pride is the little sign about counseling, displayed after you take your little tour through a scene straight from a Rob Zombie film. The sign reads, “Pregnant? Had an abortion? Confidential counseling: 800-712-4357, optionline.org” and it may be the only good, helpful thing to come out of the display.

It takes just about every ounce of energy I have to restrain myself from going insane on the constituents of this cause.

I support the right to free speech. I would never take that away from anybody, because that is exactly what I am doing here. My problem is with the people who feel that they can just throw any bad opinion in other people’s faces without giving them the option to avoid it.

Try setting up on a corner of campus where the people that actually want to see the signs can have the ability to do so, without disrupting everyone else’s day.

And to the lovely, wholesome people on The Oval: If you cannot find it possible to corner yourselves off, make your little trip back down to Westboro Baptist Church and preach to people that want to hear your shtick about how we are all damned.

Otherwise, get it out of my face.

Ohio State