BREAKING: Officers open fire on stabbing suspect north of Ohio State’s campus

Updates to come

UPDATE [3:39pm]: The victim of the stabbing has been transferred to Wexner Medical center and is in critical condition.

Police responded to a call Thursday afternoon at Neil Avenue and West Northwood Avenue after reports that a woman was stabbed.

According to police reports, officers engaged in open fire on the stabbing suspect before taking him into custody.

Students who passed by the scene reported that officers had weapons drawn and were running around the property in the area where the incident occurred. Allison Haskins, a sophomore at Ohio State was driving by when the officers responded, and spoke with The Tab Ohio State about what she witnessed.

“When we saw the police cars race down the street, we pulled over to let them by and then followed them. All of the cops had their guns drawn. The police headed straight to the backyard. More and more cops kept showing up, and by the time the sheriff arrived the scene was calmer.”

The male suspect was taken into custody behind Lawrence Tower, according to a tweet sent out by the OSU Police. The female victim has been transferred to Ohio State’s Wexner Medical Center to be treated for her wounds.

According to NBC4 Columbus, an officer has been taken to the hospital due to “blood exposure.”

The Ohio State police have issued a statement alerting students that there is “no ongoing threat to safety.”

Ohio State