The official guide to having a good time in Columbus over spring break when you’re broke AF

We can’t all escape to the beach for a week

By the time March rolls around college students only have one thing on their minds: spring break. The lucky ones get to fly off to a beach somewhere in Florida, Mexico, or the Bahamas while the rest of us are gearing up for a visit home or another week on campus. Here are some things to do if you’re staying close to Columbus for spring break.

Go out for St. Patrick’s Day

There’s no shortage of bars in Columbus where you can partake in the St. Patrick’s Day shenanigans. The Three Legged Mare in the Brewery District will start the festivities bright and early at 6am with live entertainment. Grab some kegs and eggs at Claddagh or head to Flannagan’s for some green beer.

Explore a park

There are plenty of green spaces to check out within walking distance of exciting Columbus neighborhoods like the Short North and German Village. Ohio weather is always unpredictable, especially in the spring, but Schiller Park and Goodale Park are great outdoor spaces. If you want a great view of downtown Columbus, the Scioto Mile is the place for you. Don’t spend the week cooped up inside.

Check out some live music

Between local bands and national touring musicians there are at least half a dozen shows on any given night in Columbus. If you don’t have the big bucks to see Stevie Nicks at Nationwide Arena then grab your friends and head over to Skully’s, The Big Room Bar, or Ace of Cups. When it comes to Columbus there’s a local band to fit everyone’s music taste.

Visit the Columbus Zoo

The Columbus Zoo was ranked as one of the top 10 zoos in the country by USA Today readers last year. One of theĀ  recent attractions in the Heart of Africa exhibit allows guests to feed giraffes. It might still be a little chilly for the animals outside, but there are enough indoor exhibits to keep you entertained.

Take a trip to the Franklin Park Conservatory

To be honest, spring break in Ohio usually means it’s still going to be too cold to enjoy almost anything outside. If you’re dying to spend some quality time outdoors, the Franklin Park Conservatory gives you that feeling of nature inside. Not only does the conservatory have a beautiful collection of plants, but there are also art exhibits and butterflies to see.

Not everyone has the time or money to travel somewhere warmer for spring break, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a good time in Columbus. Call up a few friends and enjoy the little things.

Ohio State