J.T. Barrett becomes first three-time captain in Ohio State football history

J.T. Barrett, Tyquan Lewis, and Billy Price will each return as captains for Ohio State in 2017

Ohio State started spring practice on Tuesday, March 7. For the second straight offseason, Ohio State announced program captains heading into spring practice. Urban Meyer’s initial captain picks per the Buckeye’s official spring roster include: senior quarterback J.T. Barrett, senior defensive end Tyquan Lewis, and senior center Billy Price. This marks the second consecutive year Lewis and Price have held this honor, while Barrett becomes the first three-time captain in the 127 years of Ohio State football.

The quarterback from Wichita Falls, Texas enters his fifth season with the program and fourth season on the field as one of the most experienced players on the youngest team coach Urban Meyer has ever had.

During his time in Columbus, Barrett has gone from the starter in 2014, throwing for 2,834 yards and 34 touchdowns before suffering a broken ankle in the regular season finale against Michigan. Barrett was filling in for former starter Braxton Miller, who missed the entire season. That year, he won the Big Ten Quarterback of the Year award. In 2015, he competed with Cardale Jones in the the most famous quarterback showdown in Ohio State Buckeyes history.

Once Jones left after the 2015 season, the job was Barrett’s, who would go on to be named back-to-back First Team All-Big Ten by both the media and coaches.

Photo Credit: Sports Illustrated

While J.T. Barrett has been served as the team’s captain twice before, he has yet to captain his team to a National Championship. Under the leadership of Barrett, Lewis, and Price, the Ohio State Buckeyes look to make another run to the College Football Playoff in the 2017 season.

Ohio State