GoFundMe set up to help Max Tongtae, Ohio State student struck by train

After going missing, Tongtae was struck by a train on the Canadian National railway. The GoFundMe is raising money help to help cover the cost of medical expenses

A GoFundMe has been set up for Ohio State Student and CABS employee Max Tongtae with a goal of raising $50,000 towards his medical expenses.

Max was reported missing on Wednesday Feb. 8, 2017 in Pittsburgh, PA and was found on Feb. 16, 2016 in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

According to news reports, Max was on the tracks of the Canadian National railway at around 11:30pm when he was struck. He was transported to the Hamilton General Hospital with “life-altering” injuries.

The GoFundMe page reads as follows:

“Max was involved in a life-altering accident Wednesday, February 15, 2017. Since the accident, he has had two surgeries and is scheduled for a third. He was placed in the ICU since he was admitted and has recently been able to move to a different floor. Max had to have his lower limbs amputated. As a result to his injuries, Max is unable to head home or even be transferred to a close-to-home hospital yet. The third surgery is scheduled for Friday, February 24, 2017. The doctors say he will need to stay for at least a week post-surgery before he can be transferred. Thus, making this almost a three week stay in Canada. We don’t know the expected time he would be released to go back home. That is to be determined later on.”

Max is currently being treated in Canada, but his sister told The Tab Ohio State that they hope to get Max transferred to the Ohio State Medical Center soon.

“Getting Max home and healthy is of top priority. As friends and former classmates of Max, we want to show our support of Max and raise some money to help his family with the costs (getting his car home, transport him back to Columbus and to a closer hospital, medical expenses, etc.)” states the GoFundMe page.

Ohio State