Soldiers’ Angels sends care packages to the forgotten men and women of the United States army

May no solider go unloved, may no soldier walk alone, make no soldier be forgotten, until they all come home

William Wadsworth said, “Fill the paper with the breathings of your heart.” Patti Patton-Bader and her team of letter writers fill letters with words from their heart to share with service men and women of the U.S. Military.

On January 22, I submitted an application to be a volunteer with a nonprofit organization known as Soldiers’ Angels. Angels aid and comfort the men, women, and veterans of the United States Army, Coast Guard, Navy, Marines, and Air Force. Soldiers’ Angels’ various programs support military families, deployed service members, wounded service members, and veterans. As a member of the Deployed Support – Letter Writing Team, I will write letters to service members who receive no mail from home.

Soldiers’ Angels was founded by Patti Patton-Bader. She was born in Pasadena, California to a Korean and Vietnam war veteran, LTC David Patton.

Patton-Bader founded Soliders’ Angels in 2003 when her oldest son, Staff Sergeant Brandon Varn was depolyed in Iraq. During their correspondence, her son told her that he was one of few soldiers receiving care packages. So she gathered friends and neighbors and they began sending packages to his entire platoon.

Eventually she started receiving more requests for help from soldiers, combat hospitals, and families. Patton-Bader and her Angels’ came to the realization that they did not have the necessary means to support the requests they were receiving. They presumed there were many Americans who wanted to support the troops but did not know how.

By way of technology, Patton-Bader was able to build a system to match the needs of soldiers with people who had the skills and desire to aid our troops. These individuals made quilts, baked goods, and wrote letters. Within months, Soldiers’ Angels became a worldwide Internet community.

In recognition for her service, Patton-Bader has received the Civilian Award for Humanitarian Service from the Department of the Army, The Spirit of Hope Award from the Secretary of Defense, and the George Washington Spirit Award from the Military Order of the Purple Heart. She was also honored on NBC on the 100th anniversary of Mother’s Day as “America’s Favorite Mom.” She donated the $250,000 grand prize to Soldiers’ Angels.

By the end of her tenure as President of Soldiers’ Angels in 2013, Soldiers’ Angels was one of the largest shippers of goods to Iraq and Afghanistan. Today, Soldiers’ Angels is the largest volunteer-centered organization dedicated to supporting our troops, veterans, and their families.

Ohio State