We shouldn’t fire head coach Thad Matta just because our basketball team lost a game

There are not many college basketball coaches better than Matta

After an embarrassing 85-72 loss to Iowa, the Ohio State fanbase has started to turn against longtime coach Thad Matta. There are rumors that Matta’s time at Ohio State could be coming to an end. However, it is completely unfair to blame the team’s defeat on one of the best coaches in Ohio State history.

1.) You can’t blame Thad for the Buckeyes terrible Free-Throw Percentage:

Free-throw shooting has been dreadful for the Buckeyes this season. Ohio State is shooting 66.7 percent from the charity stripe this season. Currently, Ohio State is ranked 263 in free-throw percentage for all Division I teams. There is only so much Matta can do to fix this issue, it honestly comes down to the players making their shots.

2.) Someone has to step up:

Last season it was easy to accept that Ohio State was too young as the only senior on the roster was a walk-on that rarely played. Now, Marc Loving, the lone senior this year, is inconsistent at best. Some games Loving will demonstrate the leadership Ohio State desperately needs, while other games he appears completely uninterested.

Ohio State needs to see more of this Marc Loving.

Someone must also step in for the injured Keita Bates-Diop. Trevor Thompson has been a nice surprise this year (averaging 10.5 points per game and 9.2 rebounds per game). However, if he expects to play in the NBA one day he will have to show he can carry the Buckeyes.

3.) The Buckeyes still have a good chance to make the NCAA Tournament:

As bad as things may seem, Ohio State still has a great chance to make the NCAA Tournament. All Ohio State needs is a signature win and a nice run in the Big 10 Tournament in order to make it to the NCAA Tournament this year. Fans need to trust the process and let Matta develop this young squad.

4.) Buckeye fans should not disregard the past:

Let’s not forget that Matta has led Ohio State to two appearances in the Final Four, four Big 10 Tournament Championships, nine NCAA Tournament Appearances, a NIT Championship, and has been named Big 10 Coach of the Year three times. Also he has developed plenty of NBA talent with players like Greg Oden, Evan Turner, Jared Sullinger, Kosta Koufos, and D’Angelo Russell. Whoever replaces That will have a hard time topping what he has done for Ohio State football.

5.) Coaches like Thad do not grow on trees:

Unless Ohio State is going to go out and sign John Calipari or Mike Krzyzewski (both not happening), then Buckeye fans should be very happy with Matta as their coach. He knows what he is doing and it is unfair to pin all of Ohio State’s struggles on one man.

Feature Image Credit: Elsa/Getty Images

Ohio State