A recap of the craziest events that took place at Ohio State in 2016

RIP Chumley’s and Afroduck

2016 was a memorable year at Ohio State. There were many highs as well as lows during this crazy year. The Tab has compiled the 10 craziest events that happened to the OSU community during 2016.

Afroduck’s death and return (well sort of)

2016 started with the death of an icon at Ohio State. Afroduck was loved by the OSU community and his sudden death was tragic. Luckily, a new Afroduck appeared to replace the legend. Although his Afro is noticeably smaller.

A female student’s fall from a sorority house

A 20-year old student fell from a third story window at the Ohio State Alpha Phi sorority house. She was then rushed in critical condition to The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center. Luckily, she survived the incident.

When a car thief flipped a stolen car

A junior at OSU had her car stolen as she was preparing to leave her house on 15th Ave. The student alerted the police and they located the overturned car on the lawn of a house near 12th Ave. A suspect was arrested.

The shooting on W. Northwood Ave

Two people were shot in what was deemed a home invasion a few blocks off campus. Neither of the victims were OSU students. However, a Buckeye Alert was sent out in order to make sure students took shelter while police searched for the suspect. This came at a horrible time for students as this incident occurred near the beginning of finals.

Chumley’s closing

Chumley’s was another victim of 2016. The sudden closing of Chumley’s caught many students and locals off guard. Chumley’s is set to return at a different location at 9th & High during the summer of 2017.

The welcome week signs

One of the traditions of welcome week involves upperclassmen creating lewd signs. Of course all of these signs were meant to be a joke, but some locals and students found them to be demeaning.

The draining of Mirror Lake

There was no Mirror Lake Jump this year as OSU decided to start a reconstruction project. As a result the entire lake was drained and an OSU tradition was thwarted for the foreseeable future as the project is to take a least 18 months to complete.

The “Shot”

OSU student Vinny Forte drained an incredible shot during Chemistry class to earn his classmates a 100% on a quiz. Luckily one student was smart enough to get this near impossible shot on video.

Beating *ichigan

“Samuel, cuts it back… Ohio State wins!” That play was easily the most epic moment of 2016 at Ohio State. Any Buckeye fan who attended the game will never forget rushing the field, singing Carmen, and then struggling to get off the field after the game. Oh and by the way J.T. clearly got that first down!

The “Campus Attack”

18-year-old Ohio State student Abdul Razak Ali Artan drove his car into a crowd of people and then proceeded to attack people with a knife. In total 11 people were hospitalized while Artan was killed by an OSU Police Officer. The attack was surreal for the OSU community, but the entire campus community rallied together to overcome this tragedy.

Cover photo credit: The Lantern

Ohio State