New Year’s resolutions you should make for 2017

This year make a resolution you’ll actually want to keep

When December 31st rolls around everyone starts buzzing about the changes they want to make in the new year. Some people want to make life altering changes while other people just want to get their shit together.

Instead of promising yourself that you’ll drink less and go to the gym more for the third year in a row, make a resolution that means something. Here are some resolutions you should make for 2017.

Speak your mind

I don’t mean that you should go tell that professor you don’t like to go fuck themselves or anything like that, but try to be more honest with people when it comes to the way you’re feeling. Too often we put up with bad friends and we let people treat us like shit because we’re too afraid we’re going to upset them with the truth.

This world suffers from a lack of communication, and your mom wasn’t lying when she said communication is key. Want more out of a relationship? Tell that person exactly what you want. Dealing with a friend who keeps flaking? Tell them that you’re worried and want to spend more time with them. Being honest gives you a peace of mind that nothing else can.

Get organized

Being organized helps to reduce stress. It’s easy to buy a planner, but it’s harder to actually commit to using one. When you’re trying to balance school, a job, and a social life it’s nearly impossible to remember everything you need to do.

Set aside a few minutes once a week to pencil in all of your homework and drink dates with your friends—trust me, you’ll thank yourself later for having everything in one place.

Spend time with the people who matter

Too often we get caught up in our stress and we forget about the people who support us through the rough times. It won’t kill you to take a break from whatever is troubling you—even if you feel like you can’t spare the time—to decompress with your best friend or catch up with your mom over the phone.

We think that no one wants to hear about our problems, but that’s what your friends and family are here for. The best medicine when you’re feeling frazzled is to spend some quality time with your loved ones.

Take care of yourself

We’re all guilty of placing ourselves second to school or work, but that’s not okay. Try to make your mental and physical health your number one priority. When you’re having a rough week, set aside a few hours to do something relaxing. Read a book, take a shower, doodle, take a nap, or do whatever it is that helps you re-charge.

Buy a jar and fill it with good memories

This isn’t really a resolution, but it’s a way to remember all of the awesome things that happened over the year. Go to the store, buy a jar of your choosing, and when you do something exciting or something great happens write it down on a piece of paper and put it in the jar.

Even if it’s something that seems small, like getting a new job or trying a new food, it’s worth writing down. On New Years Eve next year, open the jar and re-live all of the good memories.

As much as you might feel pressured to make a superficial resolution next year, try to avoid the temptation. Don’t commit to something that doesn’t matter to you, because a few weeks into 2017 you’ll have already given it up. Make a resolution this year that means something to you.

Ohio State