Why it’s better to be single over the holidays

Don’t fall for the trap known as cuffing season

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Autumn semester is coming to an end and everyone is packing up to go home for the holidays. Soon grandma will attempt to force feed you sweets every time you visit, and when you sit down to a nice dinner with your entire family surely someone will ask “So, are you seeing anyone?”

Our most beloved holiday movies boast all of the wonderful advantages of starting a romance over the winter months—but we should know by now that it isn’t realistic. I’m not going to find someone to do a home exchange, show up to their cottage, and then find Jude Law standing at my door (as much as I would love for that to happen).

I blame Hollywood for everyone’s high expectations, but it’s better to stay single for the holidays.

It’s one less gift you have to buy

If you’re like me and you’re still in college, you don’t have a lot of money. You might not even have a job. Your budget is probably tight enough as it is, so you don’t need to add a last minute significant other to the list. If you round up someone for the holidays then you have to deal with the awkward dilemma of what to buy for them or whether you should bother with a gift. You have to walk that frustrating line between getting personal or keeping distance. Who wants to deal with the crazy crowds anyway?

Alone time is the best time

You might be tempted to throw a pity party for yourself between the pregnancy and engagement announcements galore, but learn to embrace your single status. No one wants to go outside when the temperature holds a steady 30 something degrees, so pile up some blankets on your bed, grab your favorite snacks, and have a holiday movie marathon from the comfort of your own couch or bed. Cuddle up with a pet if you have one—most of the time they’re better company than people.

You won’t have to field all of the annoying questions from your family

How did you two meet? How long have you been going out? Why didn’t you tell us you were seeing someone? Your family doesn’t want to hear that you frantically downloaded four different dating apps to find someone for the holidays—but of course you wouldn’t tell them that anyway. Stroll into all of your family functions solo in your comfiest eating clothes, because that sounds like a much more enjoyable plan than having to fabricate a relationship on the spot.

Going to parties is more fun with no strings attached

Even if you’re just hanging out with someone to temporarily boost your mood over the cold winter months, going out single is more fun. You don’t have to worry about getting texts from the person you’re seeing every hour or so checking up on you and you can shamelessly flirt with whoever you want without feeling guilty. Why bother going out with someone when you’re just going to break up after Christmas or Valentine’s Day anyway?

Being single is underrated any time of the year

You know that saying “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” well single people don’t need to be fixed. You might look at us and think it’s sad that we don’t have a significant other to spend the holidays with, but the holidays aren’t much different than any other time of the year—so why should I feel sorry for myself now? Single people wouldn’t tell a couple it’s unfortunate that they’re tied down.

Don’t be tricked by The Holiday or Love Actually into thinking that you need a winter romance to make the holidays more bearable, because you don’t need a relationship to have a good time.

Ohio State