Ohio State vs. Clemson is more than a playoff game

Clemson hurt Braxton’s shoulder and we’re still not over it

For the second time in three years Ohio State has made it to the College Football Playoff, meanwhile Clemson has made the playoff for a second straight year. On December 31st Ohio State will face Clemson in the Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, Arizona. Both teams have had great success so far with the new playoff system (with Ohio State winning it all in 2015 and Clemson nearly winning it all in 2016). The  battle between these two elite college football programs will kickoff at 7:00 p.m. on New Years Eve. Although Ohio State and Clemson rarely play each other, there is more history here than meets the eye.

Clemson got Woody Hayes fired

The 1978 Gator Bowl was the final game Woody Hayes coached during his illustrious coaching career at Ohio State. To be fair Woody Hayes did put this on himself after punching Clemson nose guard Charlie Bauman after Bauman intercepted a pass. Ultimately Clemson would win 17-15 in the first ever match-up between these two teams.

They hurt Braxton’s shoulder

The 2014 Orange Bowl was another closely fought bowl match-up between these proud football programs. The game was close until Sammy Watkins established himself as the best player on the field that day. The star wide receiver recorded 6 catches for 227 yards and 2 touchdowns while going onto win Orange Bowl MVP.

During the game Braxton Miller hurt his shoulder after a hit by Clemson defensive end Vic Beasley. This injury would resulted in Miller’s shoulder never being the same. Miller re-injured his shoulder right before the 2014-15 season causing him to miss the entire year, including Ohio State winning the National Championship.

Clemson is undefeated against Ohio State

The Tigers are 2-0 all time versus the Buckeyes. Until things change it can be said that Clemson is one of the few programs in college football that have Ohio State’s number. Both of these games were decided by a total of seven points combined. There would be little surprise if the Fiesta Bowl was also a close one.

The JT Barrett vs. Deshaun Watson Argument

In a decision that could’ve changed the landscape of college football, Urban Meyer attempted to recruit Deshaun Watson to play at Ohio State. Watson chose Clemson, meanwhile Urban was able to succeed with JT Barrett and Cardale Jones. Fans will always wonder what Ohio State could have accomplished if Watson played for the scarlet and gray, and not Clemson orange and regalia. Now two of the most decorated college quarterbacks in recent memory will face off against each other in prime time which will most likely determine each of their legacies as a college quarterback.

4 Gold pants | Ecclesiastes 12:13

A photo posted by JT Barrett (@jt_theqbiv) on Nov 26, 2016 at 4:42pm PST

Ohio State