#BuckeyeStrong Together rally held to help students after campus attack

‘Together we remain unified in the face of adversity. Today and always, we are all Buckeyes.’ – The Ohio State University President Dr. Michael V. Drake

On Tuesday, November 29th, at 7:00PM, members of The Ohio State University campus community gathered at St. John Arena for a special #BuckeyeStrong event in wake of the attack that occurred on Monday morning.

The Ohio State University marching band started off the rally – the sound of pride intended to unite the Buckeye community.

Students, faculty, staff, and other members of the community held carnations while listening to Ohio State President Michael V. Drake, President of the Undergraduate Student Government Gerard Basalla, Vice President for Student Life Dr. Javaune Adams-Gaston, and Director of Public Safety Dr. Monica Moll, speak during the event.

“Ohio State is a place where we learn together, talk and listen together, and heal together after we experience tragedy,” said President Drake.

Basalla reflected, “Yesterday, I saw service and leadership take center stage during a difficult time, shining a bright light for the whole world to see. Yesterday, we came together and realized that we are braver than we believe. Yesterday, we used our character, resilience, and unity as a Buckeye family to lift each other up and tackle every obstacle in the midst of immense adversity.”

He continued by emphasizing that our community is a community of love for all people at all times and that no matter who you are or where you are from, you are welcome here. In a call to action, Basalla asked Buckeyes, past, present, and future, to heal, support, and understand each other, “And to make the world a better place. Which, by the way, is what we do best.”

Dr. J urged Buckeye Nation to continue to uphold the strength of what it means to be a community.

While addressing the aftermath of the traumatic event and reiterating the fact that the safety of the students at Ohio State is a top priority, Dr. Moll relayed the reassuring message that tens of thousands of people have been anxiously awaiting to hear: “We do understand that this is not just your school, this is your home. This is where you live and learn, and we all take our responsibility for keeping you safe seriously.”

At a campus full of the countries best and brightest, yesterday was in fact affirmation to many, why they are so proud to be a part of Buckeye Nation.

Ohio State