What to do in Columbus to survive Fall break

Why leave when there’s a mac n’ cheese festival?

We’re finally blessed with a mid-semester break that has luckily fallen after the hell that is midterms week. With this being the second year of fall break, it’s still pretty new and exciting so lots of people will travel. But for those of us who have no interest (or money, let’s be real) in leaving Columbus for break, there are many positives to sticking around.

Bars aren’t packed beyond belief

So many students are going out of town for break that the bar scene becomes like it was in June – less crowded with shorter lines to get in. There’s no promise the line for Midway won’t be wrapped around High Street all the way to Chipotle, but it might not be as crazy as a game day. Downtown bars like Cantina and Saloon are also way less crazy, so if you haven’t gone downtown on a Thursday yet this year this week is your chance.

There’s a mac n’ cheese festival

What more could you ask for in the middle of October? This festival is happening at Easton Town Centre on the 14th, starting at 4pm. Perfect time to get yourself together from the night before and eat something with some sustenance before you head out for another long night. So unless you’re some satanic soul who hates mac n’ cheese, this is a perfect chance to go to Easton for delicious food and maybe some shopping.

Make a day trip to Hocking Hills

It’s a little over an hour away and it’s totally free. You can enjoy their trails and beautiful scenery as well as the luxury of not having cell service for the duration of your hike. There’s nothing like getting away from the city for a few hours and just enjoying the caves and natural beauties that Ohio has to offer before it gets way too cold to leave your living room.

Carve a pumpkin or head to an apple orchard

These sound like the most basic things you could possibly do, but with no classes on you might as well. Even if you just buy the pumpkin to drunkenly smash over the weekend, it’s still fun. Pumpkin carving is a great way to do a fun fall activity and get your campus house or apartment ready for Halloween. Just don’t put too much time into whatever you decide to carve into your pumpkin because some drunk asshole is bound to smash it. Apple orchards won’t be nearly as crowded over Fall break, especially if you go during the weekdays. Plus most apple orchards/ fruit farms have corn mazes, too.

Explore Columbus

There are so many cool areas and neighborhoods that you can spend an entire afternoon just exploring with no set plan or destination and be amazed at what you see. Scioto Audubon Metro Park is right on the river and has a rock climbing wall to fuel your adventurous desires. Strolling on the Olentangy Trail you can come across some really awesome views of the city. German Village has the amazing book loft, great food and perfect spaces to just sit and enjoy the environment. Head to an art gallery, COSI and even the Wexner Center if that’s more your style. You definitely won’t be disappointed by the Columbus art scene.

So whether you’re more of an adventurer or the arts and Fall activities are for you, there is tons to do in and around Columbus over fall break that you won’t have to resort to binge watching an entire season of Grey’s Anatomy in a day.

Even if you do decide to do that, no one’s judging you.

Ohio State