Why everyone should run a half marathon

Vaseline is your friend because chaffing is a real bitch

Recently I ran my first half marathon through Columbus, Ohio and I’m already waiting for registration to open up to run the Capital City Half Marathon in 2017.

Stepdad of the year for paying for a hotel just to watch me run

Some of you may think I’m crazy for doing that, but I’m really only half crazy because it was only a half marathon. Corny runner’s humor aside, the CapCity was one of the most fun things I’ve done in my 21 years of life.

Even if you aren’t a runner or don’t think you can make it 13.1 miles, here are some reasons why you should at least highly consider doing a half marathon.

FREE PIZZA

Seriously, what more motivation do you need? I know a lot of races have free food at the finish area, but the CapCity was nice as hell. On my race bib, I had a pull off tag for two free pieces of Papa John’s, a free Miller Lite and a free flute of Yellow Tail wine. Basically once you’re done running and can’t feel your legs the sponsors want you to get a buzz going before noon to forget about it. Panera also had some free bagels and there was an abundance of free chocolate milk and granola bars, so there was no lack in post-race protein.

enjoying the free food that was at the finish and looking for the pizza and beer

The views

The people who put on the CapCity weren’t kidding when they said it was the best tour of Columbus on two feet. I ran through downtown, looped up to Lane Avenue and High Street to run by campus, through the Short North, German Village and back to downtown to finish at Columbus Commons. I have always loved Columbus but seeing it while running through was something else. Plus it was a cool spring morning so everything just looked incredible.

The fans

People lined just about all 13.1 miles of the course, and even more along the quarter marathon course as well as the 5k course. They had signs of encouragement as well as humor. From “I think nipple chaffing is sexy, call me!” to “WTF… Where’s the Finish?” the signs kept me going. There was even a little boy, who was maybe six at most, who had red hair and held up a sign that said “Rub my hair for good luck!” I totally did, by the way. About every two to four miles or so I’d say there was also either a Dj or a band playing music which was also great to run by because it just gets you pumped up when you’re dying inside.

The huge ass medal gives you endless bragging rights

Not only do you get free food and drink immediately after completing a half marathon, but you also get a freaking huge medal. I’m not kidding when I say it weighed me down when they put it around my neck 15 seconds after I crossed the finish line. I’ve had my fair share of medals from high school track and cross country but this thing is massive. I had to hold it up in most pictures because it seriously hurt. If having a giant medal doesn’t scream badass then I don’t know what does.

While there are many other reasons I could give you as to why you should run a half marathon, the hardest part is convincing yourself that you can. There were definitely times during my training where I would stop and walk during a long run and think to myself “there is no way I can run 13.1 miles and not keel over and die.” But I did it and my god it’s rewarding. So if you’ve ever even slightly thought about running one, stop thinking and go register for one. Just remember, vaseline is your friend because chaffing is a real bitch.

Ohio State