Local bands you need to listen to ASAP

Check out these up-and-coming artists from a city near you

Columbus has always been a total arts hub and music is no exception. With bands like Rascal Flatts, Saving Jane, and more recently Twenty One Pilots calling Cbus their home, it’s clear that we have something going for us.

Here’s your essential guide to some up-and-coming local bands you need to check out.

Captain Kidd

The beginning

After Eric and Nate started a band in high school, it only expanded once they came to Ohio State. Here, they joined with Nate’s roommate Stew, Eric’s neighbor Andrew, and Nick who Eric met through campus club “Musician’s Collective.” Since getting together, Captain Kidd has become a campus music staple and have even performed at the Big Spring Concert on campus.

Their music

They describe their music as “kind of a hybrid between old-school psychedelic stuff and more modern-based dance music.” They told me about one of their biggest struggles as a band right now:

“One of the most difficult things for us is trying to create music that can both fit in with the dance-driven style but also sound like its still five guys playing their instruments together. It’s a process that we’re still very much trying to nail down, and the more we keep writing and recording music the better we’re getting at striking that balance between psych stuff and dance stuff.”

Upcoming

Catch Captain Kidd headlining Skully’s Music Diner on Friday, April 8th. Admission to this event will be free with donation to Music Loves Ohio.

Kid Runner

The beginning

Kurt, Scott, and Drew met while attending Capitol University and decided they wanted to get a band started. Drew met the three at local shows and, once hearing they needed a singer, joined in. Still missing a drummer, Drew was reacquainted with Bobby at a CD102.5 Holiday show and asked him if he’d be interested. Once initiated, the band became one.

Their music

Kid Runner says that they change their sound quite often while they like to experiment with different genres. All-in-all they say that most people consider them indie-pop with influences from all areas of music. Drew likes hip-hop, Scott and Bobby were into pop-punk, Fran loves singer-songwriter, and Kurt is into death metal. Coming from all genres, they mix and match and become their own sound.

Upcoming

Kid Runner is currently finishing up their new EP in hopes to release late May-June. Listen to there current music on iTunes here.

CLUBHOUSE

The beginning

Ari and Zak (identical twins) along with Max started playing together in 2010. As time went on, they began to write together and after a few twists and turns, the three seemingly lost direction in their music. In early 2015 the trio met Mike and Ben from two encounters with them at Ohio University, the two then joined and CLUBHOUSE was born.

Their music

CLUBHOUSE describes their music as 80’s and 90’s pop mixed with a little taste of today’s music. They say that they naturally produce whatever their currently bumping to in combination of trying to make “a conscious effort to take inspiration from music from older eras.”

Upcoming

CLUBHOUSE will be performing with Captain Kidd at Skully’s Music Diner on Friday, April 8th. Again, admission is free with a donation.

Live My Last

The beginning

Justin met Mark and Brock in 2012 and started up as a trio. While touring locally, they met Brandon who was auditioning for other projects at the time. They say that they instantly had chemistry and started working on a full length album together. In 2014, however, they decided to take a hiatus to “soak in all of the experiences they had up until that point.” Since early 2016, original singer Justin had to leave for personal reasons, and was taken over by Jon who had previously helped with shows and writing. They are now starting back up and have begun writing new material and getting ready for a comeback show.

Their music

They have been compared to 30 Seconds to Mars, the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, The Used, and Sleeping with Sirens. Their producer, Ben Schigel, has worked with bands such as Machine Gun Kelly, Breaking Benjamin, and Drowning Pool.

Upcoming

They boys have started writing new material, but their first album is available on iTunes and Spotify to take a listen.

Playing to Vapors

The beginning

Lucas, Daron, Mike, and Josiah all began playing together 10 years ago in high school at Kilbourne. Lucas then met Zack in the club Musician’s Collective at Ohio State three years ago and the five have been playing together since.

Their music

They describe themselves as a “unique style of groove-based alternative rock.” They create rock songs that are “meticulously crafted out of lush sonic ambience.” In their CD catalog, there are “storybook lyrics” and “haunting melodies” all on top of a groovy drum and bass sound. They are an impressing blend of alternative and groove.

Upcoming

Their next show will be June 10th at Skully’s Music Diner.

Ohio State