Bullwinkles is getting backlash for its dress code

Students are calling it racist

On Monday Bullwinkles put up a sign with a newly enforced dress code.

After hearing the news of the new dress code OSU students are outraged claiming it’s racist and should never be enforced in such a trashy campus bar regardless.

The poster put up on Bullwinkles door explains the bar’s new dress code for the weekend:

• No billed hats or do-rags
  • No drug related clothing
  • No camo
  • No work boots
  • No baggy or excessive clothing including sagging
  • No excessive jewelry or accessories
  • No plain colored t-shirts or plain colored outfits
  • No athletic clothing including joggers, hoodies
  • No high top or plain white sneakers
  • No sleeveless anything

What do you mean no sleeveless anything?

Since just Monday, replies have been circulating on every social media platform we are on.

Andrea Elizabeth, a student at OSU is refusing to go back to the bar saying: “There is no room for racist and discriminatory establishments like this on OSU’s campus.”

The majority of their customers are appalled at some of the rules Bullwinkles is trying to enforce.

For example, no plain colored t-shirts.

What is this even supposed to mean? Most of what I wear when I go out is a plain colored shirt and usually the same colored pants – another thing they don’t see as acceptable.

And how are they going to enforce this? Some of these rules are so general that there is no way they will be able to enforce these ridiculous ideals.

Students are claiming the dress code is extremely racist, and that even the act of putting this sign up is a “Stay away” for a select group of people.

Students aren’t the only ones trying to get their opinion out about this dress code.

Timothy Ross who works at Bullwinkles defended the bar by saying: “At the end of the day we are a campus nightclub not an urban bar. So dress the part!”

Timothy also argues that the sign has been up since opening day.

This dress code may have been up since July, but it’s obvious it is just now getting attention, and obviously for all there right reasons. Bullwinkles is NOT a “club in the arena district” nor does it need to be treated as such. The beauty of Bullwinkles in the first place is the diversity and dancing that takes place there.

Students are also claiming to have seen the bartenders wearing clothes which are against the rules.

Even other campus bars find this a little ridiculous, Too’s got their opinion out with a simple tweet. 

This could not be more correct. We are on a college campus and shit is obviously going to happen at the bars, but Bullwinkles needs to get off their high horse and realize that they actually are a campus bar. Not some arena district club with a $10 cover and $15 drinks.

As for us students who are sad to see one of our favorite drunken dance go-to’s going down the drain, just remember, any bar who thinks they’re too good for us doesn’t deserve us, their $1 bombs are really not that great anyway.

Ohio State