Reasons for optimism in the Ohio State football team in 2016

With doubt and concern hovering over a high-demanding fan base, here is why Buckeye fans should be otherwise optimistic for the 2016-2017 season

Immediately after the Underclassmen Exodus, experts around the nation began to rave about Ohio State’s NFL draft class while undermining Urban Meyer’s team expectations for next season. To most of them, Ohio State should be content with an 8-4 record and absolutely excited at 9-3. While their doubts and criticisms are fair and possibly right, I fail to believe them. Instead, I have an extreme case of optimism for the young team we are going to see on Saturdays next fall.

In case anyone is unclear with the term I used earlier, the Buckeyes are sending off nine underclassmen football players to the NFL draft. This is the largest turnout for a single FBS program since the LSU draft class of 2013 where they sent off ten undergrad players. These pundits also condemned LSU following it, but the Tigers surprised everyone and finished the season 10-3. So what should be expected from the Buckeyes next season? While it is very early, my optimism lies upon five crucial facts about next season.

J.T. the QB

LSU’s success was credited to the experience of their quarterback in senior transfer Zach Mettenberger. In very similar fashion, Ohio State has strong stability in their redshirt junior starting quarterback. People forget that J.T. was well on his way to setting several Big Ten records during the Championship season before breaking his ankle against that team up north. Barrett will be asked to throw more this season with the loss of Ezekiel Elliott, but also expect him to run a lot of designed quarterback draws.

Luckily Barrett is very durable and tough, but I cannot imagine him taking the same amount hits as he has the past two seasons. It may go against his nature, but quarterback coach Tim Beck has to teach him sliding is a better option and saves his health. His receivers will be very young, but their talent is evident.

The return of Corey Smith, Noah Brown, and Dontre Wilson

All the experts talk about in the receivers department is that there are limited returning starters and too young to make a strong impact early. Yet, the three receivers mentioned above have started for stretches of their careers. Corey Smith was a redshirt senior who broke his leg in the Indiana game, but Urban Meyer is insists that they are proceeding as though Smith will receive a medical sixth year of eligibility. He was instrumental in the 2014 National Championship game and a solid blocking receiver who would immediately be in the running for the top receiver spot.

Noah Brown was a Sophomore last season that the coaching staff raved about in fall camp. They were comparing him to Brian Robiskie and had the making of a starter last season until he tore his ACL in camp. He will fight for that top spot with Corey Smith if he indeed returns. Dontre Wilson has battled injuries throughout his career, but he returns for a season with hopefully a strong role as a slot receiver. These three will be instrumental along with tight ends Marcus Baugh, Rashod Berry, and A.J. Alexander to help Barrett spread the ball around through the air.

Strong depth at the Defensive End spots

Joey Bosa may be gone, but surprisingly we saw depth develop behind him. Tyquan Lewis solidified his right end spot with a breakout season tallying nine sacks, and he became that co-anchor that was vacated by the dismissal of Noah Spence. On the right side, we saw a rotation between Sam Hubbard and Jalyn Holmes. Both are very young, but they proved to be disruptive and made big plays in big games when substituted in for the two starters. Since the defensive tackle positions will be occupied by inexperienced players, keep an eye out for the multi-purpose use of Hubbard as a hybrid lineman. This means he will move everywhere along the line, including the defensive tackle position throughout games.

We saw Larry Johnson Sr. deploy this tactic with Bosa last season to help clog the middle and add more experience at the tackle position. The pass rush should be solid for Ohio State, but the run stoppers in the center will have to step up this season. I truly expect a breakout season from Michael Hill. For my extreme pick, look to see Donovan Munger to step up and win the second tackle position and eventually develop into a strong force on the front line.

MIKE linebacker Raekwon McMillan: the QB of the Defense

This kid came in with high expectations in 2014 and has continued to deliver in every way. In most likely his last season coming up (I project him a first rounder in the 2017 draft), McMillan will need to become what James Laurinaitis, A.J. Hawk, Chris Speilman, and Andy Katzenmoyer were on previous Buckeye teams. He will need to be the quarterback of the defense and take control.

He will have all new linebackers with him and a relatively young football team. Raekwon will do this because he has shown the ability and knowledge as a young player in this defensive scheme. The winner of the 2013 High School Butkus Award will be more than capable of handling this role. I believe him doing this will raise he play of the several new young starters on this defense.

Urban Frank Meyer

Let’s not forget, we have one of the greatest coaches in the entire nation. The man could be a future Hall of Famer if he continues his success. Meyer has done magic with teams with lowered expectations during his previous stops at Bowling Green, Utah, and Florida. He continues to pull in top ten recruiting classes every year at Ohio State. It is very well-known around the fan base that Meyer’s Buckeyes are undefeated when playing in the underdog status. The recruiting class as of now is ranked third with the chance to add several more top 100 players, so even the young talent can come in and help out right away. Urban is doing everything necessary to help Ohio State make a tremendous run in 2016.

Ohio State