Pharrell’s NYU commencement speech applauded the Class of 2017 in the fight for women’s equality

tips

news  • 

‘Your generation is unraveling laws and misguided values that have held women back for far too long’

If you didn’t know already (obviously you did, come on), Pharrell Williams spoke at NYU’s Class of 2017 commencement in Yankee Stadium.

It was a humid day, but graduates turned out in full force to celebrate their academic success and hear from the only and only Pharrell, who graced NYU with his presence a year following his discovery of up-and-coming talent in Clive Davis.

Pharrell talked specifically about how the Class of 2017 generation has made history for women’s rights.

He said: “Speaking to you guys today has charged me up, it really has. As you find your ways to serve humanity, it gives me great comfort knowing that this generation is the first that understands that we need to lift up our women.”

Forever a student ? #NYU

A post shared by Pharrell Williams (@pharrell) on May 17, 2017 at 9:37am PDT

“Imagine the possibilities when we remove imbalance from the ether… Imagine the possibilities when women are not held back. Your generation is unraveling deeply entrenched laws, principles, and misguided values that have held women back for far too long, and therefore have held us all back, the human race. The world that you will live will be a lot better for it. This is the first generation that navigates the world with the security and the confidence to treat women as equal… You guys are the first ever.”

@TheTab