How to survive in NYC if you’re an introvert

Finding alone time in the city that never sleeps isn’t easy

New York City that isn’t often shown from the perspective of an introvert.  In a city that’s constantly moving and full of people, it can be draining for someone who gets energy from spending time alone.  As an introvert having lived in NYC for a while, I’ve gotten a pretty good at balancing my need to relax and recharge with the city’s vibrancy and energy, and figuring out how to maintain both my social life and mental health.

Parks are amazing places to relax

They are great to escape from the hustle of the city without actually leaving. Bring a good book on a nice day, and spend a few hours lounging on a bench without anyone else around. You’ll leave feeling refreshed and ready to face the world again.

Walking can be a good alternative to the subway

If you have the time, of course, but I’ve found that if the distance isn’t too far, walking is a great way to de-stress and get some elusive alone time.

Walking is good, in general

Going on walks is a perfect way to get out of your head for an hour, and it also allows you to explore the city freely, without an agenda or plan.  Wandering through Chinatown or Chelsea Market lets your brain relax- and gives bonus points for exercising.

Get out of the city for a weekend

To really escape the insanity of the city, catch a bus out for a long weekend.  Go upstate, go to a different state, go to a beach… the possibilities are endless.

Going out with friends is fun, but…

Consistently going out can get tiring. Having some friends over for dinner and a movie can be just as fun, and gives your body a chance to cool down and take a break.  That being said…

It’s important to know when to say no

A good overall philosophy, but especially important for introverts running low on energy.  Sometimes, declining an invitation to hang out in favor of a solo night-in with tea and Netflix is exactly what your body needs. Trust me, I’ve learned the hard way that if I don’t listen to my body, I’ll regret it sooner or later.

It isn’t always easy to live in New York City. It’s stressful at times, but despite those moments, it’s still one of the most amazing cities to live in. There are millions of things to do – or not do, as the case may be – and although striking a balance between experiencing life in the city and making sure not to overload yourself is a constant battle for introverts, it makes happy moments in the city even more rewarding.

NYU