NYU hosts panel on the ‘threats to freedom of expression in the age of Trump’

‘Trump’s desire to change the law speaks to his ignorance of it.’

This Wednesday NYU’s Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute hosted an special event titled “Freedom of Expression in the Age of Trump”. Co-sponsored with the NYU Center of Humanities, the event aimed to answer the question: “What are likely to be the challenges to the First Amendment going forward [under the Trump Presidency], and how does America’s history of robust dissent support the protection of speech and press today?”

The speakers on the panel included Stephen Solomon, author, business reporter and associate director of the Arthur L. Carter Journalism Institute; George Freeman, Assistant General Counsel of The New York Times Company; Thomas Healy, author and law professor at Seton Hall Law School and Floyd Abrams, renowned First Amendment attorney and author who famously defended Judith Miller and The New York Times during the CIA leak scandal of 2003.

“It’s too bad that we have to have an event like this,” began Solomon, who moderated the discussion. Over the course of an hour and a half, the speakers delved into the uncertainty the press faces under the current administration, and how its actions conflict with the liberties laid out by the First Amendment.

“Will he block the press from events they’ve historically been allowed into?” was a question posed by George Freeman. Turns out, yes he will. Less than 48 hours later, when news broke on Friday that the White House had barred certain publications – such as CNN and The New York Times – from attending the daily press briefing, whilst Conservative outlets like Breitbart News and The Washington Times were allowed in without trouble.

Healy also spoke of the dangers of dismissing Trump’s seemingly petty actions, such as his lie about his inauguration’s crowd size, as each plays a part in his crafting of an illusion of an alternate reality, and the more his supporters stand by his convictions, the stronger the illusion becomes. He compared this tactic to false propaganda broadcasts by past dictators.

“We have reason for concern, albeit generalized concern, about what’s going to happen next,” said Abrams. “This is familiar language to people who have been oppressed.”

“The biggest threat is…his constant impugning of the press,” continued Freeman. “”(Trump) doesn’t make the most basic effort to understand freedom of speech.”

It is certainly one of the strangest sociopolitical moments in American history, what with the most trusted media outlets being undermined by the president. Political satire, offered up by perspicacious programs such as Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and Late Night with Seth Meyers have thus provided much needed solace to many at their wit’s end. Healy touched on this, saying that “during the Bush administration, what kept a lot us sane was The Daily Show (hosted at the time by Jon Stewart) and The Colbert Report“.

Alternately, the media has come under fire from liberals with some saying that they enabled Donald Trump’s surprise victory by similarly mocking and undermining him, which in turn supposedly galvanised the outsider businessman and his supporters. Healy however claimed that this is an unfair judgement to make.

“The First Amendment doesn’t guarantee any particular result…another viewpoint prevailed.”

Nevertheless, there was unanimity about the importance of freedom of expression as a whole, and how retaining it is what makes America such a strong example of democracy in action. Solomon imparted some thought-provoking words on how we should remind ourselves not take this privilege lightly.

“If we as citizens don’t feel that freedom of expression is a fundamental value, then we may be in more trouble than we think.”

NYU Hide Images