Six Tisch alumni receive 2017 Oscar nominations

#violet pride

First came the Grammys, now NYU is taking over the Oscars.

In a press release released yesterday, NYU announced that six alumni have received nominations for 2017 Academy Awards, which were announced on January 24th. These included nominations in the Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Documentary Feature, Best Visual Effects categories as well as two nominations in the Best Short Film category for the short film Borrowed Time.

Among the nominees were Graduate Acting  (’00) Alumnus Mahershala Ali for his role in critically-acclaimed Moonlight (a must watch) and Dramatic Writing (’86) Alumnus Kenneth Lonergan in the Best Direction and Best Original Screenplay categories for Manchester by the Sea.

If Ali, Lonergan or any other of the alumni win in their categories in February, they will join the likes of Angelina Jolie, Anne Hathaway and Martin Scorcese – to name a few – as NYU alumni who have won Academy Awards.

The ceremony will be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel on 26th February in the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood and will air at 8:30pm EST on ABC.

NYU Hide Images