We must not forget the wise words of HRC: ‘There is more work to do’

Show one another love moving forward

America has finally shown its true colors. I had so much faith in America, my America. Yet somehow a man with absolutely no relevant work experience has become the President-elect.

After the results were announced, my friend sitting beside me said, “Hillary Clinton running for president is like asking Meryl Streep to audition for a role. Completely unnecessary.”

So how could we vote this man into the presidency? I mean, forget his policies. This is a man whose sole platform is hate. A hypocrite and a bigot, he has made an endless stream of racist and misogynistic comments throughout his campaign.

What leaves me most distraught, is that his opinions could resonate with so many Americans. Trump becoming the President-elect has validated the hateful sentiments of many, and led an overwhelming amount of Trump supporters to act out. Even New York University, a school that prides itself on its overwhelmingly liberal outlook, has had incidents post Election Day verdict. A student wrote “Trump!” on the door of the Muslim prayer room at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering.

This led to a peaceful “Rise Above Hate” rally on November 10th on the NYU Kimmel staircase. The description of the event on Facebook called out to students to come and support their Muslim peers after “coming to the realization that our campus is not immune to the bigotry that grips America.”

But Trump supporters banded together right outside the glass doors of Kimmel, so that they were visible to those seated on the staircase at the rally. As people, and as a student body, we have to rebel against that kind of hateful demonstration.

It is important to take a moment to mourn the progressive America we have lost, but to be unafraid of what comes next. The future of a Trump presidency, as far as I can see, is completely unclear. Who knows what it will mean for our foreign policy or the social institutions we have in place? For once, the history of America has nothing to base its predictions off of. Never before have we seen a president who behaves this way be elected.

But as people, and as a student body, we have to rebel against that hatred. We can’t stand by idly and let our friends, family, colleagues, and peers live in fear. In the words of Hillary Clinton, “There is more work to do.”

School campuses are a place for students to feel safe and included. To be able to receive an education without being scared to go to class. We have to be mindful of this and not let our personal opinions interfere. We must think about these people as exactly what they are: people. Not classify them by race, gender, or sexual orientation. It’s time to organize peacefully and speak out against the racism, sexism, and xenophobia that threatens to permeate out society. We have to show solidarity with those who feel their country is against them.

A close friend of mine who is Muslim, was nervous about walking through the street to attend afternoon prayer. But a woman walked up to her and handed her a rose. She told her she was Jewish and said, ‘We’re with you. We respect you and will fight for everyone’s rights. We hope you will do the same.’

That kind of love is what we need to show one another moving forward.

NYU