We spoke to people at the Standing Rock rally in Washington Square Park

Here’s what they had to say

Sunday afternoon around 12:50 pm I found myself standing in Washington Square wondering where the hell was everyone?! After a few minutes of looking, I finally found people who like me were to show support for those currently protesting at Standing Rock against the introduction of the North Dakota Access Pipeline.

Gradually the group’s numbers began to rise. In comparison to other major rallies and marches this was merely a small gathering. Regardless, it was still a strong act of solidarity.

Even though the event wasn’t well organized, the crowd still held strong support for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and the peaceful protesters aiding at Standing Rock. The Tab managed to gather a few interviews from different participants.

Exiere, Activist, International Marxist Tendency

Why are you here today?

I believe that what is happening at Standing Rock is a grave injustice. It is an example of how under capitalism minorities are also being oppressed, including indigenous people from the very beginning of history. They’ve been direct victims of capitalism. The first genocide was the result of capitalistic expansion. It was also the vital prerequisite for feeding capitalism and building whatever came next. Under socialism it would be possible to end oppression and it would be possible to actually respect the rights of Native Americans.

Cassidy, Freshman at The New School, Politics and Econ major

Why are you here today?

I’m here because the Dakota Access Pipeline is ridiculous. The US Government is breaking a treaty that has been active since 1851. This treatment of Native Americans is also ridiculous.

Do you think there will be a positive outcome from the protests and rallies?

I think it’s really just gonna bring more attention to it. i think the more attention we bring to it, the more politicians will take action on it. Hopefully our future president will do something about it.

Nancy, New Yorker

How did you hear about this?

Facebook

Why are you here today?

I am here to stand in solidarity with the people of Standing Rock. I believe the indigenous tribes deserve to have their land kept sacred and the waters kept safe from the Dakota Access Pipeline.

Do you think the outcome of all these massive protests, rallies, and marches will result in actual positive action for the indigenous people?

I certainly hope so. I believe with social media, the word is getting out around the world. The main stream media is not showing enough coverage of what is happening. Most people are truly behind Standing Rock and what they’re fighting for, because you know we can’t live on oil. We can only live on clean water.

Courtney Shaw 

Why are you here today?

I’m here today because I’m passionate about the rights of Native Americans. I’m passionate about the earth. I’m passionate about the land. I just feel what is going on in North Dakota is an absolute travesty. People don’t realize what is really going on because the media is not giving it the attention it deserves. They’re really trying to quiet it and squash it. It’s just not getting out there. People need to know that people who are exercising their rights to peaceful protest are being shot at with rubber bullets by militarized police. They are being denied access to walk and pray on the lands their ancestors were buried in. The pipeline that the government wants to install on the Sioux nations land will contaminate the water supply. They’re being treated like trespassers on their own land and the treaties are not being honored! The government stole this land from the Native Americans long ago when they experienced genocide. Billionaires are trying to steal that same land. I just absolutely don’t think that’s okay. That isn’t what the American people stand for. That doesn’t make me proud to be American. I’m patriotic to the land and the people. That includes the original native indigenous people. I’m here to speak out. I’m here to add my voice, to be surrounded by people who also care about human rights.

(Before being interviewed Courtney was playing My Country by Nahko and Medicine for the People on her speaker)

Cassie Bell, Student at The New School’s Eugene College for Liberal Arts

Why are you here today

Obviously because the Dakota access pipeline is going to cause more harm than good. I feel there needs to be people everywhere spreading that message. the media is pretty much not showing the whole story.

Samantha Page, Freshman at The New School 

Why are you here today?

I’m here to stand in solidarity with Standing Rock. I think what’s happening is an injustice and the pipeline needs to be stopped.

So when did you first hear about Standing Rock?

twitter honestly because the main media sources aren’t reporting. Twitter is a great resource in this case, and it’s not a biased media source.

So do you think that the end result of all the protest and rallies and marches will be the pipeline being relocated?

I think that they’re feeling a lot of pressure from the protests and rallies and that it will be relocated. A lot of Natives don’t want it relocated because regardless of location it will still be detrimental. Ideally the pipeline would just not be completed.

Ian Passe

Why are you here today?

I’m here today because we have a major problem in this country and it ranges from the power of private interests to the disrespecting of lives to the power of the oppressive government.

Do you see the outcome of all these protests, rallies, and marches to be enough to get the government to divert the pipeline or just get rid of it?

You know that’s an interesting question because it only works if these rallies grow. So if I stand here and say they don’t work maybe someone who listens to this or reads this won’t come out to the next one. But if I say it does work maybe they will come out to the next one. Them coming out to the next one is what will make this happen. if we can get 100,000  people to march on Washington there will be change.

“December 10th” (his friend yells from the background)

Belissa Escobedo, Student, New School

Why are you here today?

I wanted to put a call out for justice. I really have been heartbroken about what is going on at standing rock. I wish I could go out there.

So do you see the final result of all of these protests, rallies, and marches as positive outcome such as the rerouting of the pipeline?

I think if people collectively get their voices together and get out there and do something instead of just posting a hashtag or video on Facebook, we can actually change something.

Mary, New Jersey

Why are you here today?

Today i’m here to protest the Dakota Access Pipeline. It was rerouted from white neighborhoods into indigenous lands.

Where did you hear about the pipeline?

I’ve been watching the news media since it’s been a major issue. But generally over Facebook.

Do you see a positive outcome from the protest, rallies, and marches?

It’s hard to say. I think in the short term we’ll see some sort of recession of the aggression at standing rock. I think ultimately the ruling elite will get their way and that’ll be hugely detrimental to the indigenous people.

What Happens Now?

Now the Donald Trump is President, we all wonder what’s next. Trump has been very silent on the DAPL protests for multiple reasons. But the biggest reason is because he himself has a lot invested in the pipeline.  There is a chance the completion of the pipeline will be approved by the Trump administration.

But recently the Obama Administration has provided an update on the DAPL. On November 11th, they stated that a decision will be made sooner rather than later. Ultimately it is neither a go or dub. We can only hope that the final decision will not be detrimental to all.

NYU