Abraham Lincoln would have definitely been with her

If Abe and Beyoncé can’t convince you, who will?

While the rest of campus seemed eerily quiet in the early afternoon, NowThis News had set up camp in Washington Square Park, to live stream election coverage on Facebook.

Seeing news anchors on the job is certainly not a rarity in New York, but NowThis had an interesting addition to their ensemble: an Abraham Lincoln impersonator.

I managed to speak to Megan, a NowThis representative, and Bill Warren, their Abe for the day, about their thoughts on the two candidates, who are mere hours away from learning their presidential fate.

Warren has been hot on Hillary Clinton’s campaign trail from the beginning, and decided to go the extra mile in its home stretch by growing a Lincoln-esque beard and donning a suit and top hat to help out news outlets like NowThis to encourage voters, with an entertaining and creative twist.

Warren immediately talked about his high hopes for Hillary Clinton’s victory, saying she’s got a “great track record in politics.”

While many critics of Hillary Clinton would dispute this with corruption accusations, talking about the Iraq War and who knows what about her emails, Warren stood behind her with conviction, saying truthfully, “if you haven’t made any mistakes, you’re not working hard enough.”

He went on to condemn Donald Trump for the churlish behavior he has exhibited throughout his campaign, calling him a “child” and claiming that he has no business in politics. He also gravely expressed how Trump has generated a dangerous violence  through his rhetoric, drawing upon a famous line from the celebrated Pogo cartoon strip that he grew up reading: “We have met the enemy, and he is us.”

While it wasn’t a conversation with a former Leader of the Free World,  Warren was nothing short of enlightening, as he told explained how his family regarded the late Republican President Richard Nixon as a similarly dangerous man to Trump, one that shouldn’t have held office.

It was interesting to get the context behind his support for Hillary Clinton, as he has observed many presidencies preceding this one, and ultimately believes that we are moving in the right direction if she is elected.

Finally, I couldn’t resist asking whether he believed that Abraham Lincoln would have really cast his vote for Hillary Clinton.

“Absolutely,” Warren said, “people conceded that he was the best president, and I think he would have definitely made the right call in this situation.”

A nice flower arrangement to remind everyone of their civic duties.

Here’s hoping America makes Abe proud today.

NYU