DIY dorm food: Halloween bars

How to make pumpkin chocolatey s’mores brownie things

It’s Halloween. You’ve been at college for two months now, surviving somehow painfully repetitive dining hall meals, greasy 3am pizza runs and eating Ben & Jerry’s in bed while weeping quietly at the memory of your mother’s lasagna. Thanksgiving is kind of close, but not that close, so to tide you over, make these Halloween bars. Their layers of chocolate pumpkin decadence will almost make you forgot about that bio lab midterm you just failed.

Assemble ingredients

1 can pumpkin, 1 box vanilla cake mix, some Graham crackers, some Hershey bars, and mini marshmallows

Steal your roommate’s bowl

Because your bowl isn’t big enough and hers is white and aesthetic.

Scoop pumpkin into bowl

Add cake mix

Mix them together 

#mixitrealgood

Grease baking pan

And so the bars don’t stick, we used organic coconut oil because we’re hipster and alternative and had ran out of Pam.

Spread half of the gooey orange goodness delicately into the pan

Layer Graham crackers on top

Layer lots of chocolate on top

Layer more Graham crackers

(Because why not?)

MARSHMALLOWS

NOOOOOOOOOO…….

Spoon remaining half of the pumpkin cake batter over top the marshmallows

Concentration is key

Voilá

Sprinkle a hint of graham cracker dust over the bars

For added rustic flair.

Preheat your oven to 350 F

Because who actually remembers to preheat it at the beginning of the baking process. Be aware that if your gas oven was made in 1973, it won’t have a light or beeper to indicate when it’s ready, so just give it 10 minutes to get its shit together.

Put in your pan and set the timer for 25 minutes

As in the timer on your phone because the oven definitely doesn’t have one.

Watch Sex & the City for 25 minutes

Pull out bars and check to see if they’re done

Done here meaning gooey and still slightly undercooked because that’s the best way. Plus, who has any patience to let them bake longer.

Get excited…

Cut in squares and serve to yourself

Yessssssssss #cookedit

NYU