What it’s like being a Trump supporter at NYU

We spoke to Alex, freshman, Republican, Donald Trump fan

“If you support Trump then you have to be low-key about it”, says Alex Yaraghi, freshman at NYU.

With the words “NYU” and “liberality” being almost synonymous, a student who holds conservative political views at NYU is considered to be out of the ordinary.  As Alex says: “Being a conservative on a liberal campus is a tricky situation , but supporting Trump at NYU is a whole other deal.”

Between its numerous liberal organisations such as Aces and Aros, T-party, Shades, Men’s Group and many more, NYU is one of the most progressive schools  in the country. And so anyone who is an advocate for traditional values is somewhat seen as “not normal” says Alex.

He says that if someone at NYU asked him who he would vote for, he wouldn’t say Trump. Why? Because of the fear of judgement that comes along with it. Everyday, more and more students experience rebuke and disapproval when expressing their political views. Yet this is somewhat ironic as NYU is seen as a school for all, where all views and opinions are respected and taken into account.

However this has not been the case for Trump supporters like Alex who experience judgement in and out of classes from students to professors. In one of his classes, Alex recalls his professor asking who they would vote for. “She said everyone from Clinton, Sanders, Cruz and Kasich, but no mention of Trump at all.” It didn’t even cross this professor’s mind that students would vote for Trump.

So if it’s so “wrong” to support Trump, what does his supporters see in him? Well according to Alex, he feels like ” Trump will make me safe again. While I don’t support everything he says I support more of his ideas compared to those of the other candidates.

“I think he’s a smart guy and predicted a lot of events correctly.”

NYU