Growing up in the chaotic city of São Paulo was an unforgettable experience

It’s colorful, restless, hectic, and home

b1562b6f-fcc9-4fde-8d3d-de9054f503bd

São Paulo. How to explain the wonderfully wicked city of São Paulo? It lures people from all over Brazil – Oh São Paulo, it can be ruthless and pitiless but I assure you that it is worth it. All of the madness that comes from São Paulo has made me who I am today and I cannot help but fall in love with the chaos that I find.

It’s 24/7

São Paulo is a city that never ceases to impress you. There is nothing mundane and ordinary about it. Here you can find everything from a solo violinist at the streets of Paulista to a full Romantic orchestra at Sala São Paulo. Banks, Law firms, hospitals people rushing in the subways and cars to get to work and back home only to go to a bar nearby at night make the city flow with energy and liveliness every hour of every day. The city at first may seem intimidating with its endless skyscrapers and seas of cars however once you learn how to embrace it all in awe and wonder the city is yours to cease.

It’s full of opportunity

There are those who prefer living in the shadows, lurking about the city corners when the dawn comes, up to mischief. Some like to express their street art for everyone to see but they forever remain behind the curtain, always living in between the spaces for when the sun comes up a magnificent piece of art is on display having the streets as its shrine. Others don’t like the subtlety of this and will try to become the next star by studying at Drama schools such as Celia Helena and Wolf Maya, two of the top in Latin America. Or maybe go on to be the next ballerina at Cisne Negro or work as a Chef at Bistrô Charlô or even an opera singer at Municipal Theatre.  You see this is São Paulo, once you prove worthy of it and earnest, the city opens up endless doors for you.

It’s many cities in one 

São Paulo is a cultural mix. It gave me the opportunity to explore a variety of cultures first-hand and meet people from all around the world. It is made of many universes. If you fancy going to Liberdade, where you will find everything about the Asian Culture or maybe have dinner at one of the delicious Arabic restaurants, such as Almanara or even watch an Italian Opera such as Don Giovanni at Municipal Theatre, you will always be surrounded by different cultures, learning and growing as a person. I was always able de to quench my thirst of exploring new cultures by living in a big city.

It’s cultured

There’s nothing in the world like the artistic culture São Paulo provides. All the best movies in the greatest movie theatres. The beautiful street art operas, musicals, plays, concerts, night clubs, the ultimate restaurants are all located here in São Paulo. This artistic and religious freedom brings the freedom of expression. The particularity and individuality of people never ceases to amaze me because in the city there is space for everyone, for everyone’s likes and dislikes. So it is a bittersweet city but once you learn how to function with it anyone can make their space.

Paulista Avenue

This supreme avenue is the heart of São Paulo, with the finest museums and libraries and cycling paths. If you walk down the enchanted streets at night you might encounter an orchestra group playing to the tune of Coldplay in violins, illuminating the city. Then you walk more and find a street fair with people from all over the world selling their exquisite and national products. People from Africa and Mexico for example offering hand-made talismans. You even get a lesson from them about the symbolism of their products in their country of origin. Paulista is where everything happens from these wondrous activities to weekend uprisings.

It’s a historical center

In São Paulo statues such as the “Monumento `as Bandeiras” and the Independence Monument mark important time periods in the city. It is fascinating to view the city as a history class and feel like walking past time when encountering such statues. Statues of important Indigenous people also mark the city. History is an amazing thing. It makes us who we are and remind us that we are living but mortal. History marks time periods and people who fought and died but live on in us, in the streets, in the gust of wind, educating the people to appreciate the present because it is here due to the past. So walking down the streets of São paulo and nearby small cities such as Santana de Parnaiba, is like travelling through time periods.

However I would like to take this opportunity and promote awareness towards the city that I love above all others. The government is crippling our wonderful city of São Paulo. They are robbing from us leaving historical monuments such as the Municipal Theatre and Sala São Paulo, one of the most important historical influences in São Paulo, to fall into corruption and decay. Hospitals and Education suffers and cripples further and instead of investing with our people we are investing in the Olympics. The University of São Paulo, the best university there is in Brazil, state based, has no security what-so-ever. Endlessly we see the shanty homes and homeless sleeping in the streets with no refuge. The river is polluted and so is the air. Something must be done to save my beautiful city of São Paulo.

So this is the city that I love. São Paulo. It will not lie to you, it is frenzied and dangerous. It may make you feel small and insignificant when compared to its grandeur however it is beautiful for its painted with chaos and from chaos beauty is born.

NYU