Dear high schoolers, this is why you should commit to NYU

Beyond admissions materials and staff, this is the real deal

College will be here soon! In terms of options, several universities can brag truthfully about their study abroad programs, how well some academic program does, the variety of extracurriculars, what the local area offers. If it appears in admissions materials or some member of the admissions team mentions it, it will be bragged about. Here are reasons you should commit that you’ll never hear from an admissions office.

My favorite on-campus reason is that there are three academic buildings that are open 24/7, one of them being the library. Many universities, including some similar in size to NYU, do not keep any buildings open overnight, making it hard to cram for that exam the next day. Those buildings are the business school and the main building for the performing arts school. So if the library gets overcrowded, there are two other places to go, both with plenty of usable classrooms.

Lots of action takes place in the library

Moving a little further out, there’s always something to do. Many of those events involve food. In the best weather, there are parks to hang out in and play volleyball, movie shoots to watch (celebrity meetups!), and just exploring in general. You can visit a new area everyday and still not run out of things to find!

As for the food, although meal plans are nice and convenient, and grocery stores like Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods allow you to cook things yourself, it’s when you go off the beaten path and eat out that NYC’s character comes to life like no other. Lines to get into food establishments are almost always worth it, because it means whatever is ahead is unique and/or unusually tasty. Examples of the unusually unique and tasty are a bar that serves all bacon items, a burger restaurant with grandiose milkshakes, and the rainbow bagels seen below.

Rainbow bagels; only available in Brooklyn, NY

Encompassing the whole city, as well as part of New Jersey (NJ), is my favorite reason. Although I also had other reasons to choose NYU, the fact that the subway system and the PATH to NJ run 24/7 could’ve stood by itself as the reason to choose here. This means anyone can go almost anywhere, anytime, for a single flat fare (unlike most countries, that have limited hours and charge variable fares). While taxis and Ubers (effectively a cheaper, on-demand version of a taxi) might be more convenient at times, they’re much more expensive. They’re only useful to reach places where there isn’t a subway line. Nowhere else in the USA does the entire metro system run 24/7. Though the university grounds are nice, visiting the city itself is a whole different course.

Brand-new subway station in Manhattan, NY

Conclusion: For those of you are who dead set on committing to NYU, we’ll see you soon. For those that are still thinking, best of luck wherever you go next.

NYU