Will and Jada Pinkett Smith donate $30,000 to Tisch Film School

Mr. and Mrs. Smith are making dreams come true

Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith are helping NYU film students achieve their dreams. The Hollywood power couple donated $30,000 from their family foundation to the school’s undergrad film program. The grant will be used to support female filmmakers and other student television projects.

“Will and Jada Smith have a strong desire and commitment to the education of tomorrow’s storytellers, and we’re thrilled that they have decided to support some of our standout students and programs,” said Joe Pichirallo, chair of the undergraduate film and TV department.

A part of the donation will fund two original pilots created by students in Tisch’s television production class. The selected shows will each receive $10,000.

The rest of the funds went to NYU’s Fusion Film Festival, a festival dedicated to celebrating women in the film industry. The grants will assist five female filmmakers who submitted their work. Festival winners received a $2,000 reward.

The recipients were:

• Madelyn Miller for “Right Wing Woman”
  • Jennifer Rudin for “Starring Chloe Fischer”
  • Helen Coates for “Wasteland”
  • Suzanne Egan for “The Firebird”
  • Alik Barsoumian for “Antouni (Homeless)”

The Smiths’ philanthropy will undoubtedly help the ambitions of some students become reality, but it will also inspire countless others.

“When people donate money like this I get super determined and I feel a sense of duty to make a difference in the film community,” said Tisch junior Danielle Boyd. “Especially since Jada stood up and took action by boycotting the Oscars this year. Evolution is important and my hope is that money goes toward allowing students to have more opportunities to have their voices heard.”

NYU