Ways to impress your professor without really trying

Who really has time to do the reading anyway?

Think of me like a stray cat. I’m a survivor, instinctive, and I really do know where all of the dollar pizza is in the city. I’ve been around this old block called College for a while. I started a few years late (two to be exact), and because of that I’ve picked up a few life hacks along the way.

We’ve all been there. Sitting in class without our homework, awkwardly making our way through college not knowing exactly what to do. I’ve definitely been there. So, I’m here to make it a little bit easier. I’m like the brochure they forgot to hand out during orientation that has all the good stuff in it. Or your own “Marauder’s Map” with all the hidden tips for the slacker within all of us.

Do you “solemnly swear that you’re up to no good”? Then read on!

Sit in the front

I know — scary, right? Trust me, you want to do this. This is your power move. Assert your dominance and sit directly in front of the professor. It’ll show confidence, and when you start nodding off after midterms, they won’t even question it because you’re brave enough to do it right in front of their face. Plus, we all know the professor likes to call on the people in the back.

Ask too many questions

Don’t like being called on? Put the ball back in your court and ask them all the questions. You’ll come off engaged, intelligent, and charming. You’ll also help to fill the dead silence in the room, and your teacher will love you for that.

Take notes on your laptop before class

This one requires a little legitimate preparation. Have an outline prepared that you can pull up when your teacher walks around the room. With your decoy notes all queued up in the next tab, you can browse Facebook and Insta to your heart’s content. You’re a genius.

Piggyback off other people’s answers

So you didn’t do the reading for class this week? No problem. You got this. Wait for someone else to answer. When the teacher looks to you, reiterate what they just said in your own way. I’ve done this plenty of times and it always works.

Look alive

Participation can be more than just raising your hand. Sometimes simply nodding your head in agreement will make your professor think you’re really ~feeling~ their lecture, even if inside your head, you’re watching a hamster run on a little wheel. So lean forward, nod your head, and try not to pull a neck muscle.

Acknowledge your teacher on the way out

They say a “thank you” goes a long way, and it really does. Smile and utter a simple “thanks” on the way out the door. It’s like applauding an amazing instructor after an awesome fitness class — your prof wants the same praise, too.

Prepare your monologue

When all else fails, prepare a monologue. This will be your go-to passion speech about whatever you’re covering in class that day. Keep this one in your back pocket. If your professor asks you a direct question that you can’t answer, just start reciting this baby like you’re Coach Brooks in Miracle. Your professor will be so mesmerized they’ll forget they even asked you anything.

NYU