Someone’s started a petition for us to have pets in our dorms

Thank you for answering my prayers

Alright so I’ve always wanted to have a gecko cos I think they’re cute, fun and I have an egomaniac syndrome so the whole King Julian from Madagascar is kinda my spirit animal. *go gecko, go gecko*.

I reached out to NYU Housing to double check the pet policy and in fact we are only allowed to have any pets at all just a fish. So I guess that’s kinda cool. But also kinda sad. 

Thank you NYU for killing my happiness and my gecko dreams.

Just when I thought that it was all over Timmy came to my rescue. Image my shock when Mr Timmy Lee has released a petition to get NYU to change its rule on pets.

So get a load of this brave soul:

Although currently the petition boasts only 7 signatures out of the 1,000 required, I am know a proud 8th! Meanwhile speaking to a few fish owners, I found out that people really do love their pets.

Maria Tomilenko a freshman in CAS said, “I just wanted a pet and it’s the only one you’re allowed. I would have loved to keep something else.” Unfortunately Archibald is now deceased but he had a good time on Instagram and seems like he lived a full life. “I really don’t think it makes sense that you can’t keep something else other than a fish in that tank.” However, the more I asked people the fishier this debate/rule got.

There were a few rule breakers, like Sam Rosenbloom’s roommate. Rosenbloom said, “I got a fish because my suite mate got a lobster in a tank and I wanted to get a fish to have a pet in my room. I couldn’t get much because it has to fit in a tank.” How scandalous.

As for NYU’s restrictions on pets he disagrees, “I do not think NYU’s pet restrictions are unreasonable. I would be pretty angry if I had a roommate with a dog that barked and pooped and had to be let out all the time.

“I also don’t think freshmen college students are very responsible, it is also hard to take care of a dog for a week when leaving your dorm for spring break than a fish, that can live off a longterm feeding solution.

“My fish is easy to take care of and a great addition to my room.” Well, sir, I disagree (but then again I just want a puppy).

Upon seeing the petition, senior Da’Shan Smith said: “I never had an opinion about the pet policy, but it’s an interesting topic up for debate at NYU. On one hand I could understand why administration would fear pets being taken care of by students and all the chaos that could ensue if it was a dog or cat. But on the other hand we are starting our own lives as young adults making our own decisions.”

Let’s hope this picks up and we can all get something in a tank.

NYU