Everything that happened at the ‘Banger for Bernie’ rager

Everyone felt the Bern in Chinatown on Friday

Primary season is in full swing and it has turned the BERNing passion of Sanders supporters into a five-alarm scorcher. The Vermont Viper has been nipping at Hillary’s heels early on and shows no sign of slowing down, and neither do his advocates. Granddaddy Grassroots has inspired young NYC activists from all walks of life to use what is available to them to make a difference in the political process. Meeker Street, an event planning team run by NYU alumnus Hanna Rioseco and students Adu Matory and Travis Fodor, used their master hosting skills to throw Banger for Bernie, a rager that took place this past Friday in Chinatown.photojoiner (1)

“I used to live in an apartment on 245 Meeker Street with four roommates and we would throw a ton of parties,” said Matory. “I figured we could channel all of that energy into helping something we really care about.”

And they did just that. Stepping into the Wyndham Garden, the bass knocked the capitalism out of my ears and my eyes were blitzed by a never-ending video of the Senatorial Slayer sinking free throw after free throw. Meeker Street didn’t skimp on the refreshments either. Those lucky enough to get pre-sale tickets received two free beers and if those weren’t enough there was a full bar at your disposal. Discussing the effects of wealth disparity can make people thirsty, you know?

Like many of Bernie’s events, the crowd primarily consisted of millennials concerned with the overwhelming presence of corporations in politics, skyrocketing student debt, and toxic establishment politics.

“Bernie is the best choice because he has consistently been the only politician who takes on Wall Street and the corporate elite, whom are using their money to influence politics,” said Kevin H. from #Movement4Bernie, who was running the voter registration corner.

“Hillary is a powerful woman, that doesn’t mean she wants to do what I think is best for this country,” said NYU student Samantha Asher. “Obama is the president and there is still rampant racism, we need someone with ideas that can really make a difference.”

“Bernie pushes Obama’s message of hope, racial justice, equal opportunity, and LGBTQ a step further,” said Detric Cook who led a team of volunteers that helped set up the fiesta. “He’s made the right decisions since he’s been in government and has added a youthful energy to campaigning.”

This “political party” also attracted older activists who were there for all of the same reasons. Richard Kent Green is a NYC-based actor and political activist who worked for Occupy Wall Street and the second Obama presidential campaign.

“No president, not Bernie, not Hillary, and not any Republican is going to be able to do anything as long as the corrupt government and money stay in politics,” said Green who was rocking suspenders adorned with Bernie pins. “That’s why Bernie keeps talking about a revolution. If we don’t get a swell of support from the people, all of these brilliant ideas are going to get swept up by the establishment.”

Bernie might be trailing Hillary after these first couple of primaries but the race has only begun and the Wall Street Assassin is just getting started.

All proceeds for Banger for Bernie were used to pay off event expenses and the rest was donated to the Sanders campaign.

NYU