What are your worst Valentine’s Day horror stories?

At least we have 365 days until the next one…

Oh, the beloved February 14th: For some, a day filled with classic Shakespearean unrequited love, for the lucky ones, plush teddy bears larger than life. But for most, expectations getting the best of them. If your crush doesn’t end up bringing you that favorite candy of yours they promised, your day can turn from giggles and swooning eyes to crying tears as you hopelessly recite, “You used to call me on my cellphone”.

However, no matter how much you may want to stay at home spitting Drizzy’s rhymes for hours post-valentine’s disappointment, you can bet your stories aren’t as cringeworthy as these.

Asia, CAS

“On my first Valentine’s Day with my boyfriend, he gave me a card that said ‘You’re having a boy!’ and signed ‘Happy Birthday!’ on the inside. And it wasn’t even my birthday! I didn’t know whether to play along and wait for a birthday cake and candles or to throw the card back at his face. To all the guys out there: do NOT joke about pregnancy on Valentine’s Day.”

Francesca, Steinhardt

“I was major-crushing on this guy James for a few months, but of course I thought he was way out of my league. Then I got the best news from my friend: that this guy actually liked me back! So that was pretty darn awesome, at least to awkward 17-year-old me. The week of Valentine’s Day rolls around and we hadn’t talked since his friend told me that, but on February 13th, he asked me out to this fancy fondue place that was a cult favorite in my town. I got all dressed up and I looked fantastic. I was so proud of myself after the two hours I spent getting ready. Next thing you know, we sit down to eat and five of his football friends roll up to sit in the booth with us. Apparently he invited them all! They took up the entire booth, causing me to have to pull up an extra chair to the table. They ate all the food we ordered; I didn’t even get to take a bite of anything! And the craziest part: they made me pay for my ‘share’ that I didn’t even get! And then to add insult to injury, the guy tells me it was the best Valentine’s Day he’s ever had. Worst. ‘Date’. Ever.”

Abbey, CAS

“We were in the fourth grade. It was after lunch, when all the kids came to class with their pink, sparkly, cardboard Valentine’s Day boxes, and with their plastic bags stuffed with a mix of sugary treats. I left recess early and waited by his locker with my Spongebob valentine I saved just for him. When he finally approached his locker, I started to get butterflies and immediately spat out, without thinking, ‘I like you!’. I trapped him in a hug that felt like a little too long for four seconds, and he responded with a ‘ . . . We are better as friends.’ Funny, because I was nine.” 

Adam, Gallatin

“Last year, my boyfriend took me to this Asian fusion restaurant in Queens and then we went back to his house. It was the first time I’d ever been there and I met his parents. The food gave me awful diarrhea and I had to go to the toilet nearly five times over the course of the evening. It was the most romantic day ever.”

Katie, CAS

“Last Valentine’s Day, I had plans to skype my best friend and watch a movie together online. I was in my friend’s room because everyone else was in my room drinking. This guy from school that had this giant crush on me was there too, and he kept coming in, totally wasted, saying ‘HI!’ to me when I clearly had no interest. He came in about four more times as I was skyping my friend, but he was so drunk that he didn’t seem to catch the fact that I wanted him to leave.” 

NYU