How I spent Singles Awareness Day

Some call it Valentine’s Day, I call it Netflix night

February 14 was Valentine’s Day — at CVS, Walgreens, Macy’s, and any other one of those usual stores that advertise the holiday. I get it. It’s great that there is a holiday just for lovebirds, but in the United States, 44 per cent of Americans are single. It’s quite unfair for all the “single ladies” (and gentlemen) to just sit there and contemplate about their love lives. That is why there is Single Awareness Day and if you are new to this holiday, do not worry. You have a true expert right here. Allow me to take you through my magical and charming Singles Awareness Day (“SAD”).

The very first step of Singles Awareness Day: wake up late. Why torture yourself on a Sunday morning? Personally I tend to wake up at 9 a.m. each day so on this day, I woke up at 11 a.m. “Why not noon?” you may ask. Well, being a somewhat perfectionist I would feel incredibly guilty waking up past noon. Thus, 11 a.m. is absolutely ideal.

After getting ready and going through my typical morning routine, I called up a friend and we were to for lunch and a movie. The weather was chilling, but we managed to stumble up University Place to 12th Street and into the doors of the restaurant. See, my friend and I had been craving pizza since last Thursday and we just had to get our hands on authentic Neapolitan pizza. We went to Ribalta where we stuffed ourselves with two pies of margherita pizza. Sorry Downstein but you really cannot beat fresh, real pizza.

February 9th was National Pizza Day!

With lunch out of the way, the two of us went to the Regal Cinema at Union Square to watch the highly-anticipated Marvel superhero movie, Deadpool. The movie was awesome. I mean sure, there were lots of sex jokes, nudity, and blood but what do you expect from Deadpool? Again, the movie was extraordinary but the problem was we were both falling asleep. The theater was warm and dark and our stomachs were full—who could blame us? Either way, the afternoon was going quite well, but unfortunately after the movie, my friend and I had to part ways. I could not keep her; she had an evening date to get ready for.

Movie selfie! Before we fell asleep.

So I walked down University Place back to my snug little room at Goddard, alone. The cold seemed to bite into my face and tears from the cold sprung in my eyes. From the corner of my eye, I saw a couple walking down the street. They were clearly underdressed but they held on to each other with their eyes sparkling with joy and love. I stuffed my hands in my pockets because I was stupid enough to forget my gloves. You might have thought I was feeling depressed or lonely but actually I was pretty happy because I was on to number— I lost count— something step of my Single Awareness Day routine: flowers and candy. Some of you may go: “Hold up. Candy and flowers? Isn’t that a Valentine’s Day thing?” The rest of you are probably just thinking: “Wait. I’m pretty sure the writer’s name is Candy. Let me just scroll up to check. Oh yeah, that’s her name. Interesting.”

Tulips are better than one.

Listen, the holiday S.A.D is about buying the goodies for yourself! It is about doing everything for yourself and only enjoying the things you like. Instead of Singles Awareness Day it is more like Self-Appreciation Day. Take a day off of stalking couples’ pictures on Facebook or envying the parties recorded on Snapchat stories. Social media tends to exaggerate other people’s lives out of proportion. Do not let it dictate your life. Do what you love.

For the rest of you still reading this article, here is how I spent the rest of S.A.D: Netflix and chill, of course. I spent the next hour and a half watching Roman Holiday and finishing season five of Pretty Little Liars.

Netflix and chill

I think I ate dinner sometime around then but I don’t even remember what I ate. So how did I end Self-Appreciation Day? Watching The Walking Dead’s mid-season premier. After all, who does not like a little bit of guts and gore at the end of the day?

Roses are red, violets are blue, I love zombies how about you?

NYU