Brace yourselves – Chipotle is closed today

So they’re offering free burritos to help you cope

Yes you read it right – all Chipotle stores across the country will be closed today from 11 am to 3pm in order to implement a new food safety program.

In a step towards recovery after the company’s recent history of E. Coli in their food, Chipotle will be training staff on new procedures for food preparation and handling changes, according to Fortune 500.

Some of the major adjustments include:

• Items like tomato, lettuce and bell peppers will be prepared in central kitchens
  • Items like cilantro will be marinated in citrus juice for extra protection and additional flavour.
  • A new company tracing system will allow them to track all ingredients.
  • Chipotle stores will undergo regular inspections by local government health organisations

While according to CDC, the fight against E-coli is over, Chipotle will live tweet this meeting through the account @ChipotleTweets as the company attempts to continue to improve its food safety procedures.

But here’s the bonus – to make up for the inconvenience that the closure will cause, Chipotle is giving its customers free burrito coupons if they text RAINCHECK to 888222.

Make sure you get them quickly – they’re only offering them until 6pm today.

NYU