How to get more likes on Instagram

We all know Insta is a NYU religion

It’s obvious that now more than ever, Instagram has surpassed its power as a mere photo-sharing social media platform, to the social bible for connecting. At a school like NYU, it’s quite impossible to find somebody who is not on Instagram, and if such abnormal being were ever to be found, it would be like trying to figure out how NYU athletics remains in existence (No really, how?).

Living in New York City can be quite the exhaustion for Instagrammers, I mean, all corners of this city seem to be perfectly positioned and staged for that next post, the streets, NYU grounds, rooftops and majestic views, clubs, bars, museums, you name it. You who are reading this have nodded to every single thing I listed, and you are a culprit of such posts yourself, no? It’s okay, there is no blame being thrown around here, it’s just… happens?

Hail Brandon Stanton, the eyes and ears of this city sharing his art on Instagram

But here’s where every user, follower, poster or Instagrammer secretly wishes to know: how do I get more likes? That subconscious (but conscious, really) desire for reaching those 50, 100, 200 likes is real, and there is no shame in it.

NYU’s Instagram is half decent, I would say (go follow it now you spiritless Violet)

After all, Instagram is the biggest way to put yourself out there and share your hot faces and friends with your other friends, and what is more gratifying than all those orange notifications on the bottom right corner with the magic number telling you how many likes you got? Yeah, I thought so.

To prove that NYU is Intagram royalty, thanks to the artsy, fashionable and hipster student body it endows, I have insight from those who know what’s up, and can share their wisdom with us hopeful users:

Aalia, a prolific and impressive NYU Insta superstar

According to experts like Aalia, who’s shown above and has a massive 87.9k followers, what’s important is to post often, but not too often, because that might bore followers. So, remember guys, engage but don’t overexpose.

Alright, so here’s the deal: legs, cleavage, location, location location. Hashtags are out (not even the Kardashians use them anymore) and clever captions are in. To attain the glorious number of likes (like, say, 8,649?), there is no real method to achieve this, it’s all about timing, knowing what your audience wants to see, and making it worthy of a double-tap. Piece of cake?

Themes can be cool once in a while too

Keeping your account public, and reaching a certain high number of followers will do you a great service. As the diva in the photos tells me: “As your followers go up, the rate at which this happens does too”. It’s simple math everyone, you know, exponential logarithmic functions and all that.

Attempts of an amateur Instagrammer to raise the bar we’re cool, right? Potentially

Instagram is no joke people, at NYU, it’s a serious endeavour. So if you want to step up your game and impress a few, know yourself, be yourself, and post away (but remember, not too often).

Now, let’s face the music, future Kendalls and Gigi’s, HONY and Newforkcities, it’s your time to shine. Take it away people, your Insta awaits.

NYU