Are you Oscar ready?

Find out what movies are worth your free time before the awards

The long awaited Sunday of the Academy Awards is getting closer, and we both know that you didn’t see all the nominated movies over January break like you promised yourself you would. Whether you’re a Tisch student that feels left out of the conversations about the nominees (because that’s all we seem to talk about) or you’re a CAS student trying to get in on these hot debates, the number of highly praised films from 2015 is overwhelming. So what movies are really worth the price of the ticket and the free time before February 28th comes around? Here are my opinions on the big ones.

The Revenant

Of all the nominees, this is the most talked about, which is the main reason why you should see it. But The Revenant is not a fun flick. At parts, it is slow and hard to watch. (Leo has never drooled/screamed/cried so much in his life.) However, the cinematography will blow your mind, and the lengths that the whole cast and crew went to for this film will give you a new respect for filmmaking. If you want to be prepared for the Oscars, at least see this. There’s a good chance it will steal most of the awards, and you’ll want a foundation for your reactions.

Room

Room was surprisingly one of my favorites. I highly recommend seeing this movie. Bring tissues, because I can guarantee a good cry, but Room is also uplifting and beautiful in every sense. You may be wiping your eyes one minute, but laughing at the sweetness of this movie the next. The story is gripping and the acting is unbelievable. Jacob Tremblay is 9 years old and is better than most actors four times his age. Brie Larsen literally couldn’t have been better. This movie puts a lot into perspective. 

The Big Short

Also an unexpected favorite! The Big Short taught me a lot about the stock market crash of 2005 with one of the best looking teachers possible, Ryan Gosling. Not to mention, the rest of the cast- Steve Carell, Christian Bale and Brad Pitt, are top notch. This movie was fast, funny, and takes a honest approach at a national crisis, with a smaller story that will keep you at the edge of your seat, trying to understand the other language that is finance. You’ll have a good time watching this movie, just sit towards the back if you’re prone to dizziness.

The Martian

I often hear mixed reviews of The Martian, but I loved it. But, I also read the book over the summer, so I was counting down the days until I could see Matt Damon get stuck on Mars. If you like space films, this is one of those. And a solid one. The special effects are the true definition of an “escapism” movie. The script is funny, despite the plot, and the action is awesome on the big screen. The cast also has an interesting mix of actors you’d recognize. The Martian is great but not legendary. See this movie if you’ve been wanting to, but otherwise, it can wait until it’s online.

Carol

Carol has a plot that doesn’t sit right with me the more I think about it, but arguably the best acting of all the nominees. Cate Blanchett is captivating and the whole movie has a level of restraint that makes this the classiest lesbian love story of all time. Carol should be nominated for best picture.

Bridge of Spies

Heard it was good, but nothing special. Hence the reason I haven’t seen it.

Mad Max: Fury Road

If you haven’t seen this movie yet, you’re doing something wrong. I cannot even comprehend how they made this movie, and how they made it so well. Mad Max is badass and action packed, with two main characters that you can seriously root for. It’s the kind of movie that you watch with your jaw dropped, eyes wide, and hands clenched tight on a nearby object or person. You’ll be speechless at the end, and walk out with a new level of hype. 

Spotlight

Another surprising favorite! The plot of this movie and the real events that it is based on are what make it so absorbing. There wasn’t a moment of the 2 hours that I was bored. This movie couldn’t have done a better job telling its story, and the cast did a good job of making it feel authentic. Highly recommend seeing this one before the awards.

Brooklyn

Brooklyn is an older, Irish version of “The Notebook”. It’s just downright beautiful. My eyes were glued to the screen and my heart was fragile in that theater. This movie isn’t full of any crazy plot twists or car flips, but it’s a sweet story with some amazing directing. Saoirse Ronan and Emory Cohen will make you almost too hopeful for true romance.

Joy

Oof. I strongly disliked this movie. It felt like David O’Russell just wanted to show the world how obsessed he is with Jennifer Lawrence, and she was unimpressive to me, too. I didn’t believe her as the “strong, can-do-anything” female character they wrote her to be. I thought the music was trying to manipulate me to have feelings, although I wasn’t emotionally affected at all during the whole 2 hours and 4 minutes. Feel free to give this movie a shot, but don’t have high expectations. Remember that it’s about a woman who invented a mop.

Creed

Creed was a good film, but in my opinion, not one of the best of the year. Michael B. Jordan always seizes my heart in a certain type of way, but I found this movie to be kind of cliché. If you love wrestling movies (and if you love Rocky) you’ll definitely like this movie. Personally, I expected more from it, but it is still worth a watch. Very inspiring. There’s a particular one-shot sequence in the ring that will play with your heartbeat, and the soundtrack and sound design are on point. There are even moments of the movie where shouts from “audience members” during matches are panned to come from speakers in the back of the theater, really putting you in the movie.

The Hateful Eight

If you like Tarantino movies, this movie does not disappoint. It may even be his best yet. This movie has so much blood in it that the art directors were the second people named (after the director) in the credits. Every character is intriguing and terrifying in their own way, each with a separate objective in this “whodunit/cabin fever” scenario. It’s a ton of fun to watch everything and everyone unravel. The script is truly one of a kind; you won’t believe the number of ways Tarantino finds to say the word “penis”. See it in 70mm if possible, with the Overture and Intermission for the full experience. This one is a priority, people. 

Anomalisa

You’ve never seen puppets like this before. This is an R rated animation. (Things get sexy!) But seriously, this stop-motion film is actually really deep and really cool. The detail in this production is so impressive that sometimes the emotion in the faces of these puppets makes you forget they’re not real people. Kaufman does a great job of making his movies a rollercoaster of confusion with an eye-opening, meaningful understanding at the end. You’ll be watching the credits, stuck in your chair, wishing this movie was longer than 90 minutes. See this movie if you’re up for something different. It’ll give “Inside Out” a run for its money in the animation category.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

OMG SEE STAR WARS!!! It’s Star Wars! This movie will make anyone feel like a kid again. You will have so much fun seeing it, even if you haven’t seen the others. (But you should IV, V, & VI, too) It’s surprisingly funny, and Rey is everything I wanted in a strong female lead that Joy couldn’t give me. The battle sequences are flailing-in-your-seat exciting, and when the score kicks in, you’ll find yourself humming along with a huge smile on your face.

I’d also like to recommend “World of Tomorrow,” a very moving, yet very light hearted 20 minute animated short film by Don Hertzfeldt (maybe you’ve seen “Rejected Cartoons”) which is streaming on Netflix, “Amy” the documentary about Amy Winehouse, and “Ex Machina,” a futuristic, romantic thriller that will make you question everything you know about the world (in a fun way).

If you’re interested in seeing all of the nominees, AMC Theaters is doing a special “marathon” event on Saturday February 27th where they will screen all of the Best Picture nominees back-to-back. But, if you’re no Shia La’Beouf and 24 hours of movies would kill you, they also split the nominees into a two-day special February 20th and 27th. You can get tickets here.

NYU