Let this NYU freshman tell you how to party

The parties are as diverse as the students

It has only been about two months since I started studying at NYU’s Washington Square campus, but I feel like I know what goes down at this college better than a senior.

Now, I expected college to have one standardized partying scene, where people meet up at dorms and party. But at NYU you get a taste of everything.

Living up to its global tag, the diversity of students here amuses me, and by diversity I’m not only referring to different ethnicities but also to financial diversity. Each type of group, rich or poor, has a different style of partying.

The clubhoppers

These are the ones who party from time to time, but manage to spend a little more than average. If you have a fake, you’re set. Danyal Qureshi, a senior studying Economics at CAS, says he had the best time partying at a few specific clubs. “At 1-Oak you literally meet people from all over the world, the girls are hot as hell and you don’t have to spend that much.” Pre-gaming is a tradition for this type. If you’re worried about losing your fake, pre-gaming is the way to go.

Money spent: $50-100

Drink: Tequila

The frat folks

A lot of people complain about NYU’s not so extravagant Greek life. Even though the Greek life here is not that big, there are still plenty of frat parties to attend.

Sumaiyah Siddiqui, a freshman studying sociology at LSP said: “Guys look at you like you’re a piece of meat.”

Yumi Liu, another freshman studying Dentistry and East Asian linguistics at Gallatin, has her own opinion about frat parties: “Everybody’s basically there to hook up. Those aren’t as fun — everyone’s sweaty and groping other people. Nobody really talks and it’s physical.”

But hey! if you are looking for a happy ending without spending any money, frat parties are your saviors.

Money spent: IT’S FREE (mostly)

Drink: Beer

Rich kids of NYU

Now, this is my personal favorite. Last week I got invited to a party at Bagatelle, where just the tips and taxes approximated to a thousand dollars. How much is the entire bill you ask? There is no limit. I was lucky to get a picture of the bill. Moët, Dom Perignon, Ace of Spades, you name it and it’s there. Looking to empty your bank account or to live life king size? Go out with this elite group of students.

Money spent: Expect a very low or no balance after you manage to get over the hangover and finally check your account

Drink: Champagne

Straight Outta Third North

I cannot list the amount of Third North dorm parties I have heard about these past two months. Coolest RAs, best parties and cops is what Third North is all about. During welcome week I heard about one instance involving cops. Apparently they arrived after too many noise complaints.

I have not heard much about the other dorms but Yumi told me something about Weinstein: “People just drink a can of beer or two. Nothing too crazy. We usually just keep everything on the down low, at least personally my friends and I do. We keep the noise down and just sit around with good close friends and talk about life.”

If you feel like spending nothing at all and you don’t have a fake, dorm parties should be your thing.

Money spent: $10-30

Drink: Vodka and beer

NYU Clubs NYC NYU The Tab