Passion for fashion

The phrase ‘starving artist’ now has a new meaning

It is no secret that New York City is a fashion capital of the world. NYU is known for its art scene, liberal (and intense) ideals with respect to education and its thrilling neighborhood, The Village.

St. Mark’s, for example, leads young people to defy their parents’ ideals through its risqué fashion trends and abundant piercing parlors.

The NYU community falls right in the center of the global stratosphere, where fashion is of great importance to the majority of its students. At NYU, fashion influences come from all over the world.

My friends Marc and Chris were determined to express key fashion trends in their everyday lives in order to demonstrate their versatile taste, while simultaneously maintaining that New York edge.

Their styles embody cultural paradigms, which is evident throughout the fashion look book they filmed in order to represent the city’s different fashion trends. The look-book focuses on New York inspired Fall looks. The Turkish scarf that Marc wears, for example, represents his travel and immersion in a culture he is unfamiliar with.

Another fashion influence are the classic Air Force Ones and the light-weight, wind jacket that Chris wears to emulate the “Yeezy” look.

And of course there’s the famous American Apparel basic “sweater weather” look.

All of this indicates the wide array of fashion influences that help mold one’s personal artistic outlook.

When asked about their interest in fashion, fashion influences, developing a social media presence and experience with NYU culture/ fashion, the boys responded with effusive opinions.

Marc’s opinion on fashion: (instagram: @itsmarcanthony_)

“In the last couple of years, the exposure to social media has transformed the definition of success. There has inevitably been a shift from educational success to expressive success. Why is it so imperative to get a paper that lists an accomplishment rather than utilizing innate ambitions to actually prove success?

“While many teenagers continue to establish a balance between education and pursuing actual interests, the amount of free time may inevitably grow. Instead of resorting to detrimental activities, the participation in social media has become especially helpful. Social media has proven the solution to busy idleness. Rather than adapting to a busy, yet essentially unproductive lifestyle, social media has allowed people to create new avenues that ensure an atmosphere of success.

“The social media platform that is most responsible for influencing my perception of fashion is Instagram.

From sweater weather outfits to longline shirts, I have seen it all. I remember dressing conservatively and mismatching. My style developed as I observed the different tastes and expressive nature of each student at NYU. Here you get a taste of everyone’s style when you see them either leisurely walking through The Square, or rushing to class. You have the goths, the hipsters and the prep guys.

“I realize how pivotal fashion is in discovering myself and being able to be expressively successful. Through fashion I am able to express my moods, my memories and even my aspirations. While I attempt to discover and refine my own fashion sense, I hope to bring to NYU the revelation that fashion is a central theme in everyone’s identity. In essence, fashion is not only a physical statement. Rather, it is a physical and mental embodiment that gives us the opportunity to succeed.”

Chris’ opinion on fashion: (instagram: @chrissantoo)

“Passion is the fuel which ignites a person’s desire to live and provides them with a purpose that goes beyond the limitations of society.  Everyone dreams of doing what his or her heart desires while being able to survive off that vision. The phrase ‘starving artist’ now has a new meaning and people are using social media to create their own success. The vast expansion of social media proves that the world is becoming extremely interconnected and the ability to reach a mass audience in minutes has never been easier.

“Living in a fashion capital has cultivated a unique style that says more about one’s individuality then words can describe. Each article of clothing symbolizes a different aspect of my upbringing. The transition from an aimless adolescent style to something sophisticated and refined has taken its charge in my life.

“The influence that social media has played on the development of my style is undeniable. Influencers shape the way I view particular fashion trends and the way I choose to incorporate them into my style. Individuals are now their own brand constituted by their social media platforms and the way they choose to market themselves. Expression through fashion in social media is essential to the success of any influencer simply because first impressions lie so heavily on physical appearance.

“The versatility that New York street style has is unlike any other. The fusion of Brooklyn edge and urbane SoHo are the eccentric styles that come about living in such a diverse city. I want to establish my presence as fashion influencer that demonstrates the melting pot that is New York City street style.”

Driven by their desire to show the importance of fashion in their life, these boys asked me to help film and edit an NYC Fall Fashion lookbook.  

The author

NYU Fashion NYC NYU The Tab