Your weekly weekeND update

The week everything was cancelled

Everything was weird this week – in case you slept in due to multiple cancelled classes, here’s what you missed.

Bye, Milo

British journalist and general racket-causer Milo Yiannopoulos was supposed to speak at Notre Dame on Wednesday evening in a presentation called “Restoring Common Sense to Feminism” with Christina Hoff Sommers. However, he had to cancel at the last minute due to an “urgent personal matter.”

Both his supporters and detractors took to Yik Yak to share their feelings, but the question still remains – does Milo know the difference between a seal and a dog?

NDH is lit

Thursday evening, emergency vehicles from NDSP and NDFD surrounded North Dining Hall to take care of a small fire that started in an electrical room. The fire caused some outages on the north side of campus, but there were no injuries.

There was also no breakfast, lunch or dinner at North on Friday, causing North Quad and Mod Quad residents to make the tough decision between betraying their native dining hall and making the trek to South or spending their Flex Points at one of Notre Dame’s fine on-campus dining establishments.

Holy Half cancelled

In the most disappointing cancellation of the week, Notre Dame’s 12th annual Holy Half Marathon was called off because of unseasonable snow that made for dangerous running conditions. This was disappointing to the over 1,500 people who planned to run the race, but it didn’t stop runners from attempting it anyway.

Congratulations to all the runners who trained for the race – South Bend weather was truly the only thing that could have stopped you.

Sports mania

Even our Fighting Irish had trouble continuing their regularly scheduled programming this week, with Saturday’s baseball doubleheader against Miami cancelled just hours before players were to take the field.

They played a single game on Sunday at 1 pm instead, in which the Irish unfortunately fell 10-2 and were truly rocked like a Hurricane.

Additionally, we hope you didn’t already book your flights, because Notre Dame football’s 2016-2017 season opener game against the University of Texas has been moved from Saturday, September 3, to Sunday, September 4th. This decision was reached due to the large number of home opener games being played that same Saturday — both Notre Dame and Texas didn’t want to be overshadowed by or compete with viewers of the other games going on at the same time.

The only thing this means for us ND students is one more day spent in Austin, and one less day spent studying. So professors: please don’t schedule any exams for Monday, September 5th. 

Gives Me Hell

And finally, SUB has announced that our spring concert will be featuring the All American Rejects. Hopefully, this event won’t be cancelled, too.

Notre Dame University