Your weekly weekeND update

Recapping your week in the aftermath of April Fool’s Day

Everything that went down this past week.

Madness ends for the Irish

After successful seasons for both the women’s and men’s teams, the basketball season has officially ended. The women fell to #4 Stanford last Friday which was an especially surprising loss, as Coach Muffet McGraw had led the women’s program to the Final Four for the past five years straight.

On Easter Sunday, the men’s team lost to #1 University of North Carolina by 13 points in a tough battle. Although neither program was able to go all the way this year, the Irish fought valiantly and the Notre Dame community should continue to be proud of the way they played this year.

Goodbye, DJ

Speaking of basketball, Irish point guard and leading scorer Demetrius Jackson announced Thursday that he would be declaring for the NBA draft. The Fighting Irish will have a huge hole to fill in Jackson’s absence, but we are excited to see what’s in store both for our boys next season and for Jackson as her pursues his professional career.

We wish him all the best and we’ll be watching.

April Fools!

This past Friday, April 1st, people got silly. This year, students at Notre Dame honored the highly anticipated holiday of April Fools by convincing their friends that Panera would be shutting down for good (sorry, Shannon), by removing all the clothes from their roommates’ closets (sorry, Alex), and by convincing people that South Dining Hall would be closing in order to become a storage space for the excess of issued gear (sorry, everyone).

The New York Times also published a brilliant and timely piece poking fun at the ridiculously low acceptance rates of top colleges and universities across the country.

But April Fool’s Day is not just a holiday for bored teenagers and cheeky news sources–many big-name companies and celebrities participated in the festivities this year as well, allowing everyone to enjoy a much-needed dose of joviality in their weeks. Until next year…

Yiannopoulos and Sommers to take on feminism

Controversial British journalist and entrepreneur Milo Yiannopoulos is coming to Notre Dame on Wednesday, April 6th with Christina Hoff Sommers, author and scholar who has spoken out vehemently against modern-day feminism.

The presentation is already making waves, and students have taken to Yik Yak to voice their opinions on both sides. If you want to see how it all goes down, be at Jordan on Wednesday at 6pm.

Notre Dame University