We talked to freshman guys about their first time doing laundry

You never forget your first

Laundry. You either hate it or you tolerate it.

Here at Notre Dame, there is a choice: you can either do your laundry in the dorms, or partake in a lovely service called St Michael’s laundry, where you simply put your clothes into a bag and they come back in a few days time fresh and clean.

For those who do their own laundry, the first time at school without the helping hand of a parent can be, well, interesting. This is especially, stereotypically true for many freshmen guys. I decided to ask some of the male freshmen population at Notre Dame about their first time doing laundry.

Joe Pinto, History

I had taken the lint screen out of the dryer to clean it and somehow couldn’t get it to fit back in the slot. So I and two other freshman guys struggled for five minutes trying to force it back in which culminated in myself stomping on it and breaking it in three places only to realize: it was backwards…laundry is just a struggle.

Jackson Hignite, Political Science and Spanish

“The first four times I did laundry everybody and their brother wanted to do laundry at the same time. So I would come back and to find someone had emptied my load and put theirs in instead of mine. I always thought, maybe it is a southern hospitality thing, that if they took out my load then they should put it in to dry, but that’s just me – I’m not salty about it.

Aaron Swope, FTT

I haven’t bought laundry detergent all year. I’ve just been ‘borrowing’ from unknowing friends and roommates.

Mark Lee, Business

Laundry is all too expensive. I have to spend a minimum of $3 to do laundry and it is honestly just a heinous crime. They rob the students of their dignity and I feel like when you have an endowment of $9-$15 billion dollars you should give the students benefits like free laundry similar to St. Mary’s.

One time the place to swipe your ID card to pay for laundry wouldn’t work so I had to get change to pay for the laundry which sucked. Then another time when I swiped my card it took the money but it didn’t register with the laundry machine so it stole my money.

Adrian Navotas, Engineering

The first time I did laundry the washer smelled so bad when I opened it I chorked (threw-up) and had to rewash all of my laundry.

Connor Mullany, Business

He’s a user of St. Michael’s Laundry Service: “One time I forgot to put my laundry out on Sunday. And then on Monday, I had to walk all the way over to St. Michaels. It was a struggle.”

Ryan Doyle, Pre-Med

Um…it was really easy.

Notre Dame University national-us