NC State football coach Dave Doeren responds to NFL anthem protests

Actually he avoids it like the plague

In a press conference on Monday, State football Coach Dave Doeren talked a lot about the upcoming home game versus Syracuse. The game will also be our annual Military Appreciation Day game.

During this press conference, he talked about his connection to the military, which was both the beginning and the end of his political dialogue.

“We get to play football and we get to make decisions and pick professions, we get to vote for who we want and we get to say things that we want to say because we live in a place where people fight for us," he said. "We get to actually play football for them on Saturday. That’s a big deal. I think it’s really cool that we get to do that.”

Coach Doeren went on to talk about his family members that have served, which is what makes this game so meaningful for him. “It’s a special atmosphere having all of (the military branches) be a part of it with us,” he said. “I thank them and look forward to playing for them this week.” Dave's father and father-in-law have both served in the U.S. Military.

The only reference he made to the current discussion of politics in football was to say “I’m not in the NFL, so I don’t have to deal with that.”

After President Trump's statements at a rally on September 22, many NFL players and officials protested by kneeling during the National Anthem or by staying in the locker room during the performance. College football hasn't been involved in the issue because they always come out of the locker room after the pre-show.

North Carolina State University