UPDATE: Arrests made in tearing down of Statue of Confederate soldier in Durham

#Durham has spoken

UPDATE [08/18/17, 1:17pm]: Eight people have been arrested in response to the toppling of the Confederate statue in Durham. Takiya Fatima Thompson, 22, has received the majority of the charges from Durham County Sheriff's Office, two felonies and two misdemeanors.

Thompson was charged with participation in a riot with property damage in excess of $1,500 and inciting a riot and two misdemeanors of disorderly conduct by injury to a statue and damage to property.

What's left of the statue has been altered. "Death to the Klan" has been written below the original inscription and the word "shame" has replaced "memory" in the statement "In memory of the boys who wore the gray."

_____________________________________________________________

In response to this weekend's rallies in Charlottesville, protestors gathered in downtown Durham and tore down a statue that stood in memory of Confederate soldiers.

The memorial reads "In memory of the boys who wore the gray."

This protest has stirred up mixed emotions. Many people are in favor of the act of toppling the statue because of what it represents, while others believe it is not appropriate and is destruction of public property.

The protest alone brought a large crowd to downtown Durham.

Governor Roy Cooper shared a statement on Twitter, standing against the violence but also disagreeing with protestors methods of removal.

North Carolina State University