It’s finally time to admit what we’re all thinking – spring break is totally overrated

It’s just a trap

We’ve all seen the Snapchat stories of beautiful beaches, crystal-clear water, beautiful girls, drinks and parties. Spring break seems almost too good to be true – maybe because it is. These are all the reasons your spring break trip is totally overrated.

Money

Let’s be real, none of us can actually afford these luxurious spring break trips we are taking to the Bahamas or Hawaii. We are all pretending that we didn’t just spend a whole semester picking up quarters off the ground to save up for this trip.

I was listening to a conversation between two girls in my math class and one of them actually said, “Yeah, spring break was really fun. I just wish I didn’t have to sell my fridge to go.” HER FRIDGE. This girl actually sold her fridge to go sit in the scorching heat with 100+ frat boys and drunks.

I once had to pay for tissues completely in pennies. Does that sound like someone that should be paying for a $200/night hotel room? The moral of the story is spring break is not worth the money (and please do not sell your fridge).

Drunk people

I am an 18-year-old college girl and I love going to parties just as much as the next person, but a whole week of drunk girls puking on your towels and drunk guys spraying beer on you is a little much. After about the 20th girl jumped on top of a cooler and drunkenly ripped off her top, I’d had enough of spring break. And I had only been there an hour.

Additionally, I sat through hours of painful conversations that explicitly consisted of a girl who had downed too much tequila telling me about her ex-boyfriend. Not to mention the creepy frat boys that drape their arm around you and start listing off numbers (that I now understand to be their phone numbers). I can listen to drunk sob stories and sloppy frat boys for free at school, so why did I pay money to be here?

Sunburn

Nothing like subjecting your skin to the harsh Florida sun after four months of hiding under layers and layers of clothing. Come on, if you know your shoulders haven’t seen a ray of sun for over 90 days, why would you spend all day in the sun without any sunscreen? It’s all fun and games until you’re a day into spring break and can’t leave your hotel room because of sun poisoning.

Sleep (or lack thereof)

One of the horrible truths of college is that you do not sleep. There is no way to avoid it. So, when we get a brief reprieve from school, it would make sense to bask in the glory of being able to sleep as late as we want, but that’s not the case on spring break. You are up all night helping Jennifer through her breakup just to be woken up at the crack of dawn by your roommate screaming “SHOTS!” Even when you finally get to go to bed, you have to sleep with a pair of earplugs in to drown out the music that plays all night.

Home is just way better

In all honesty, I found myself wishing I was home snuggled up in my own bed with my dog many times during break. It seems unbelievable, but sometimes it’s nice to get a break from the crazy party scene and lie in bed all day.

Spring break is definitely something everyone should experience at least once in their lives, but you have been warned – it is not as glamorous as Snapchat stories make it out to be.

North Carolina State University